Probe question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Warf rat

Reaction score
Well I went probing a little today. Made my hand hurt, it’s been two years Since I had a brain fart of brain farts I can dig still, but nothing like I once could. If I could just find a place. We’re the crappers close to the ally or just wherever. Thanks Calvin

Attachments

• 86FDD7B0-AD4A-45B2-AF4F-2F0058C4FD2E.jpeg
    86FDD7B0-AD4A-45B2-AF4F-2F0058C4FD2E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
  • E86AE7D6-6EFC-4BD7-8F1F-76B4EE26980F.jpeg
    E86AE7D6-6EFC-4BD7-8F1F-76B4EE26980F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98

Palani

Reaction score
Tempered steel rods from the trunk of old cars are how we made them in Hawaii. Tapered rounded tip not sharp. When the probe is tempered steel you can use it to dig with when trying to get a bottle out delicately. I like a short and long probes. When I see a shovel being used to pry out a bottle makes me nervous.

willong

Reaction score
A little work with a die grinder could smooth the surface of that weld "glob" if it bothers you. Retain a diameter a bit larger than the shank of the probe rod and do not sharpen the end point. Some prefer a sharp ledge on the upper side of the tip as it aids in retrieving a small sample of material from the probed ground--they are looking for ash, tomato seeds and such to help deduce if they are in a privy pit or not.

margclearlake

Reaction score
my probe is custom made, (by me) with no glob. I really dont under stand the glob and how it helps. I found a copper one at an old house and it had the glob.

This thread inspires me to go tink tink tinking.

nhpharm

Reaction score
The glob opens the hole up a bit bigger than the probe shaft. In certain soils, if you don't have that tip, the soil (clay and the like) will grab the shaft and make it very difficult to pull the probe out.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Because I have access to Welders & grinding stone wheel/Bench Griner I easily shape mine nice & smooth on end. No Globby Blob for me. LEON.

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score
Well I went probing a little today. Made my hand hurt, it’s been two years Since I had a brain fart of brain farts I can dig still, but nothing like I once could. If I could just find a place. We’re the crappers close to the ally or just wherever. Thanks Calvin

Ouch! Is that hand much operable with all those pins. I’ve a full femur nail, knee to trochanter. I sure feel for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora