Pure Newfoundland cod liver oil

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kostgar

Reaction score
Hello,

Pulled this shard from the ocean yesterday. Had embossing on sides as well, smooth base. How unlucky was I? Was it common?

IMG_20200111_110710.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow that's a shame that one is broken, it isn't one I've ever seen before. Nice embossing on it too. I wonder if there was a company name on the side panels.

RCO

Reaction score
cod liver oil was a common product being produced in Newfoundland ( Canada ) for a longtime from what I know . the cod fishery was the main employer/industry there until the early 90's when the stocks collapsed and it was closed to commercial fishing

although less sure if your bottle would of been common or not ? never really seen it before but don't see many Newfoundland bottles here .

but not really sure of the age of the bottle ? it has an older look to it . I searched around online and couldn't find anything similar , so not sure at this point , maybe someone on here has seen something similar

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I doubt that it's an actual Newfoundland bottle, probably an American company selling cod liver oil which may or may not have come from Newfoundland. Actual Newfoundland bottles aren't easy to find and tend to be fairly valuable, but I'm pretty sure this isn't one.

RCO

Reaction score
I doubt that it's an actual Newfoundland bottle, probably an American company selling cod liver oil which may or may not have come from Newfoundland. Actual Newfoundland bottles aren't easy to find and tend to be fairly valuable, but I'm pretty sure this isn't one.

never considered that possibility , make sense that newfoundland cod liver oil was just a name used to sell the product . and it perhaps came from somewhere else .

newfoundland wouldn't of had a lot of manufacturing facilities when this bottle likely used ( 1880's-1910's ) but New England area did so could of came from there

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky