Purple glass and prohibition whiskey

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Magphant

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have several old bottles I inherited from my grandparents. I’m wondering if anyone can give me info on them. I’ve numbered the purple glass for ease of discussion. The purple glass sat on my grandma’s roof in the Nevada desert for decades to turn it purple. I can remember it up there for my entire childhood. Some of the pieces are dirty and I haven’t cleaned them yet. They’ve been in storage for years.
1. This bottle has “98” on the bottom edge of the bottle and “N” “4” on the bottom.
2. Has no visible markings.
3. Has a marking that looks like maybe a “5” on the bottom.
4. This is a cool little spice jar. It says “Chili Powder” on one side and “Gebhardt Eagle” on the other.
5. This one is more of a jar than a bottle. It says “The Liquid Carbonic Company” on the bottom. The top is pretty cool too and clamps on (see photos)
6. This is a jar as well. The only markings I found are on the lid and are difficult to read and basically impossible to photograph. I think it says “Patented Aug 8 1900 Other patents pending”

The two Lihue Ice Co bottles were brought back from my great aunt’s trip to Kauai in the mid 50’s.

The two prohibition whiskey bottles were found in my grandparent’s basement after they passed. I have no history on them other than what the labels say. One says “Goldfield, Nev. Sept. 16 1921. This whiskey was bought at 308 Broodway St Sept 16 1921 and sealed by me - Peter E. DuBois”. The other bottle says “Tonapah, Nev. Sept. 13, 1921. Bought whiskey at Tonapah Club Sept. 13, 1921 and sealed by me. This is it. - Peter E. DuBois”

I can only attach 10 photos here. I’ll try and attach the others in the comments. I truly appreciate any info you all can share with me. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• 1686062527517.028.jpeg
    1686062527517.028.jpeg
    456 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0903.jpeg
    IMG_0903.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0904.jpeg
    IMG_0904.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0907.jpeg
    IMG_0907.jpeg
    401.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0909.jpeg
    IMG_0909.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0929.jpeg
    IMG_0929.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0930.jpeg
    IMG_0930.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0914.jpeg
    IMG_0914.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0916.jpeg
    IMG_0916.jpeg
    445.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0917.jpeg
    IMG_0917.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 182

Magphant

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the one of the whiskey bottles still has a little whiskey in it. Both bottles are still sealed with wax but obviously it’s not air tight.

Attachments

• IMG_0920.jpeg
    IMG_0920.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0919.jpeg
    IMG_0919.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0931.jpeg
    IMG_0931.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0932.jpeg
    IMG_0932.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0933.jpeg
    IMG_0933.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0898.jpeg
    IMG_0898.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0899.jpeg
    IMG_0899.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0900.jpeg
    IMG_0900.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0935.jpeg
    IMG_0935.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 121

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Your purple bottles are: 1. ketchup, 2. probably whiskey, 3. capers or something similar, 6. probably a candy jar or some sort of countertop display jar. The carbolic jar is interesting, I'm familiar with carbolic acid coming in much smaller bottles so not sure if that's what it contained.
The whiskey bottles are interesting too, no idea why someone would have been collecting samples of whiskey in those days. Were any of your ancestors detectives, or something like that?
The Hawaiian Hutchinson bottles are going to be fairly valuable, one like yours sold for $125 on Ebay recently, but it was a buy-it-now so tough to say what it would be worth at auction. Other Hutchinson bottles from that company recently sold for $150 and $40 (the latter may have sold so cheaply because the seller neglected to put the word "Hawaii" in the title). It's surprising that your grandparents would have brought those back in the 1950s, they wouldn't have been in use for at least 30 years by that point and bottle collecting hadn't really gotten going as a hobby yet in those days.

HouTxSoda

Reaction score
Pic # 4 - "Gebhardt's Chili Powder” is from San Antonio, Texas. It is still sold in a similar bottle today in grocery stores. The bottles are fairly common, but look at the base of yours a see if it was made by the 3 Rivers Glass Co. - if so, it's a keeper.

Magphant

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Your purple bottles are: 1. ketchup, 2. probably whiskey, 3. capers or something similar, 6. probably a candy jar or some sort of countertop display jar. The carbolic jar is interesting, I'm familiar with carbolic acid coming in much smaller bottles so not sure if that's what it contained.
The whiskey bottles are interesting too, no idea why someone would have been collecting samples of whiskey in those days. Were any of your ancestors detectives, or something like that?
The Hawaiian Hutchinson bottles are going to be fairly valuable, one like yours sold for $125 on Ebay recently, but it was a buy-it-now so tough to say what it would be worth at auction. Other Hutchinson bottles from that company recently sold for $150 and $40 (the latter may have sold so cheaply because the seller neglected to put the word "Hawaii" in the title). It's surprising that your grandparents would have brought those back in the 1950s, they wouldn't have been in use for at least 30 years by that point and bottle collecting hadn't really gotten going as a hobby yet in those days.
Thank you so much for all the great info. I didn’t even know the Hawaii ones were called Hutchison bottles. I figured they were older than the 50’s but I have know idea why they would’ve brought them back with them. My great uncle (my grandma’s brother in law) was Hawaiian and from Kauai. Maybe they were originally his?
The whiskey bottles are a complete mystery to all of us. They were buried under decades of junk in my grandparent’s basement. My mom had never seen them and we didn’t find them until after my grandparents had passed. DuBois isn’t even a family name. I wondered if Mr. DuBois had a job finding illegal bars/distilleries, getting evidence and then getting them shut down. Just a guess.
You mentioned carbolic acid but the bottom of the bottle actually says “carbonic”. I don’t know if that makes a difference. Thanks again for all the info.

Magphant

Reaction score
Pic # 4 - "Gebhardt's Chili Powder” is from San Antonio, Texas. It is still sold in a similar bottle today in grocery stores. The bottles are fairly common, but look at the base of yours a see if it was made by the 3 Rivers Glass Co. - if so, it's a keeper.
Thank you. Its neat that similar bottles are still used for this chili powder. The bottom of my bottle has a “3” on it, but that’s all. I’m not sure if that means it was made by 3 Rivers Glass.

Attachments

• IMG_0937.jpeg
    IMG_0937.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 82

Magphant

Reaction score
Also, do you have any idea on the age of these bottles? Especially the Hutchinson ones? Obviously the whiskey bottles are from the early 20’s but I’m curious about the rest. Thanks again for all the great info. This is so interesting to me.

hemihampton

Reaction score
The Hawaiian Hutchinson Bottles are your best Bottles. Hutchinson Bottles usually date in the 1879-19teens time frame. use really slowed after 1910 as most changed over to the Crowntop by then. But more obscure places may of still been using the Hutches into the 1920's. Like Hawaii. I have about 300 different Michigan Hutch's. One of my favorite type of Bottles. LEON.

Magphant

Reaction score
The Hawaiian Hutchinson Bottles are your best Bottles. Hutchinson Bottles usually date in the 1879-19teens time frame. use really slowed after 1910 as most changed over to the Crowntop by then. But more obscure places may of still been using the Hutches into the 1920's. Like Hawaii. I have about 300 different Michigan Hutch's. One of my favorite type of Bottles. LEON.
Thank you so much for the great info. 300!! That’s awesome. I love them too. They’re such a fun shape.

sandchip

Reaction score
You have a great spot to take pictures of bottles. There's nowhere in my house that highlights the embossing and features of glass like that. Nice finds!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis