Question on embossed Vernor’s bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
I’m a collector of everything Vernor’s, but don’t have a lot of knowledge about bottles and bottle manufacturing. I bought a Vernor’s embossed “Guaranteed by James Vernor” bottle today at the Utica, MI Antique Show. $5 - I couldn’t resist! This one has a seam running up to the neck, but has a kind of poorly done applied top. The horizontal seam is at about a 30 degree angle. Does this make it earlier than other similar examples? Or, was it quitting time and the guy making them said “good enough”? Thanks for your input. Photos: 1) several of my embossed Vernor’s Food and Drug Act bottles, 2) the “Guaranteed by James Vernor” embossing, and 3) the top.
85A09D7D-C5C7-44CE-8C11-DA9EC241F997.jpeg
946E139B-C090-439E-B4B9-BC8F5A5B1D81.jpeg
E90DEEA9-F570-4BCA-984A-4CBAF4FF3940.jpeg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Nice collection, are they all different, are the #'s after the 1906 all the same #? The Guaranteed under is older then the Guaranteed By Version. If you look carefully at the front you might notice some small differences. I used to go to that same show every year for years but probably have not been there in about 5 + or maybe 10 Years. LEON.

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
Nice collection, are they all different, are the #'s after the 1906 all the same #? The Guaranteed under is older then the Guaranteed By Version. If you look carefully at the front you might notice some small differences. I used to go to that same show every year for years but probably have not been there in about 5 + or maybe 10 Years. LEON.
Hi Leon -
They’re all a little bit different. Fonts are different sizes. Spacing is different. However, you’re right, the numbers differ. The “James Vernor” ones are #1246. But, one of the “Guaranteed under” is #1206 and another is #1248. Two of my other “Guaranteed under” are #1246. Just one has the applied top that looks so poorly done.
-Keith

hemihampton

Reaction score
If you look close at the writing on front about Red Crown Cap you'll notice some letters are Capitalized on some bottles while not on others. LEON.

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
If you look close at the writing on front about Red Crown Cap you'll notice some letters are Capitalized on some bottles while not on others. LEON.
Yes! Lots of different font variations. They must have had a ton of different molds made. I would love to find one of those molds!

iggyworf

Reaction score
Great bottles! I do not have any of those ones. Yeah we missed the Utica flee mkt also. I wouldn't be sure of the yrs. But early I would guess.

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
Great bottles! I do not have any of those ones. Yeah we missed the Utica flee mkt also. I wouldn't be sure of the yrs. But early I would guess.
Thank you! Vernor’s started using a diamond shaped paper label in the late 1910’s. So, their embossed bottles would be early 1900’s to late 1910’s. However, I have at least one bottle that’s embossed (but not embossed with the 1906 Food and Drug Act wording on the back) and also has a paper label. Not sure if they still made fully embossed bottles into the 1920’s (shoulder embossing is a for sure yes) or just used earlier embossed bottles because they had them.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi