QUESTIONABLE EBAY ITEM

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
ebay has never contacted me about any questionable item I have listed.
They just delete the auction, no questions asked , if they even vaguely suspect its a questionable item.
I think since they probably outsource their auction editing to foreign countries there is often some communications malfunctions about items and the editors just shotgun everything.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I think some of your assumptions may be incorrect.
Ebay requires sellers to accept certain forms of payment.
I'm not sure they have any requirements for buyer payment unless your want certain buyer protections.

If you pay with any other method than paypal ebay will lose a little money.
Only the seller pays the fees.
They penalize the buyer for not using paypal by not supporting them in buyer/seller conflicts.
So in theory it seems foolish for the buyer not to use free paypal since it guarantees satifaction in the sale.
And the seller is required to accept paypal.
In reality using paypal adds additional cost for the paypal middleman that someone has to pay.

JohnN

Reaction score
So if I pay for something with paypal, the seller has to pay a fee? I thought that was how it worked, but I wasn't sure.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
So if I pay for something with paypal, the seller has to pay a fee? I thought that was how it worked, but I wasn't sure.

yes ebay(paypal) gets a portion of the money you send to the seller. On top of the listing fee and final value fees they already paid.

jays emporium

Reaction score
Yes, ebay requires the sellers to accept Paypal as a method of payment but they do not require the buyer to pay by Paypal. I accept lots of payments by money order or by cash with local pick up and that is perfectly alright. There is even a place on the list of sold items where I click "Mark As Payment Received" so ebay knows the item was paid for without Paypal.
Back to the original poster, Sam, good to see you on here again. I'll be set up at the Dr Pepper Collectors show in Waco this weekend if you can make it there.
Jay

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jays emporium

Yes, ebay requires the sellers to accept Paypal as a method of payment but they do not require the buyer to pay by Paypal. I accept lots of payments by money order or by cash with local pick up and that is perfectly alright.

I do the same Jay, butttt it IS NOT ok to accept Money Orders(thru the mail) except on Big Ticket Items like cars, boats and similar stuff according to E-Bay rules...

"Payment by personal check, cashier's check, bank-to-bank transfers, or money order isn't allowed for most eBay purchases."

"This doesn't apply to: some Motors categories, the Real Estate and Adult Only categories, and capital equipment."

What I like to do is ask SELLERS(ones I trust) if they want me to pay with Paypal by using the "PERSONAL PAYMENT" option so they don't pay any Paypal Fees. I also do this as a seller, I often ask buyers if they would pay me using the "PERSONAL" option to save me the fees as well.

That's one way for us to "STICK IT TO" the E-Bay Nazi's. I'm well aware that I don't get the Paypal protection on my item, but I'm willing to take that chance with sellers who have great feedback.....

Jim

jays emporium

Reaction score
Thanks, Jim, I don't go back and read the rules very often unless I'm selling something I don't have much experience with. I forgot about that rule about Money Orders. I know it is not allowed to even mention the words MONEY ORDER in the item description. But buyers often ask if I will accept them and I answer " I will gladly accept a US Postal money order as payment for any of my items." I even post that answer to the question in my item after they ask the question and ebay has not shut down any of my auctions for that, not yet anyway.
I don't really mind Paypal because of the convenience. I often sell up to 50 items closing in one night and they are usually all paid for within 2 or 3 days. It is so easy to keep up with shipping items when they are paid for quickly. It is almost annoying, now, waiting for the check in the mail.
I dislike the fees but I just consider that a cost of doing business. I occasionally ask someone to make a payment as a Gift through Paypal if I know them and it is a significant amount of money and that is done without fees.
Jay

Lordbud

Reaction score
As long as everyone is cool about things, you can pay with a personal check if the seller says "no paypal". And this is for small ticket items. I don't like waiting for a check to clear, but I'm not gonna turn someone in over "no paypal". The main thing on ebay is to get along and keep one's 100% positive ratings.
Per the original poster's question, if your listing pictures of the bottle show the contents then you shouldn't mention anything about them. Maybe the bottle was refilled at some point with something else and recorked. Who knows after all these years?

EFE093811F5540A1B649F1B498949ED4.jpg

Attachments

• EFE093811F5540A1B649F1B498949ED4.jpg
    EFE093811F5540A1B649F1B498949ED4.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 82

athometoo

Reaction score
hey jay good to hear from you as well . couldnt make it to the show spent the week in the neuro icu ward . wife had surgery. gonna try to have my long awaited garage sale tomorrow without her. she can the show from the recliner . maybe next year . i will post some new sodas i found one is a 8 bubble from cuero. congrats on the kob. sam

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu