Questions about 2 cd 145 Brookfields

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

planeguy2

Reaction score
Both of these CD 145's are western union standard "B"s. But what is going on with the petticoats??? As you can see I Iabeled a straight black line from where the petticoat meets the insulator and the line dose not mach up. The red line shows the exact same line but on the right insulator. Is this a mold issue or what. The left insulator has a shop number of 7, but if the right one's numbers is lost because the dome popped. If you know what is going on here please tell me.
PicsArt_07-12-12.07.38.jpg

treeguyfred

Reaction score
I have many Brookfields that have dramatically different glass volume. It wasn't an exact science yet by the time these were made. An operator still had to manually open a pour gate for each string of molds or even individual molds, and that "operator" or glass mechanic was very often an underpaid twelve year old with (maybe) 3rd grade larning. It used to surprise me when I first noticed this wildly prevalent discrepancy. Now, for me, to find an under-poured Hemingray would be more eyebrow raising.
Nifty pair, too bad about the dome pop.... would you like an intact 145 B?

BillinMo

Reaction score
As Fred mentioned, old glass production methods weren't 100% consistent, so there is a lot of variation. One minor thing, though... the actual glass pouring was done by experienced workers. The youngsters did more routine tasks like taking the just-molded insulator to the annealing lehr.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94