Questions on recent finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cpackjr

Reaction score
My dad and I went to his grandfathers home place recently and found a large bottle dump. Found lots of bottles from 30's 40's and 50's. the time frame he remembers going there to hoe corn. I found many bottles that I can find info on, but had a couple of questions. The green bottle has a 1943 Owens mark, but I am unsure what it was used for. It has a flattened panel on the back and an embossed line on the front with measurements of 1/2 cup pointing to the line. I think showing 1/2 cup used and 1/2 cup remaining.
The whiskey bottle looks like one I find often when searching the net, that one is a John Paul Jones Whiskey and has similar features as mine but the captain is in profile on mine but full face on the other. There is an Owens mark on the bottom but the numbers are squeezed off. The federal law quote is on it, I'm just curious about the age and maker.
The milk of mag and vicks are the first I have found of the light color and an embossed MOM, I suppose they are older than the common dark blue ones, just curious how much older, can't find a reference.
Funny thing was the number of cheap whiskey bottles and similar number of embossed listerin and embossed Halitosine bottles, he says only drinker in that family was a cousin. In same spot I found a corked lysol and a embossed Nowlands Direct Application bottle about 2 inches tall. Neat spot with common bottles but I can't help bringing them all home. Thanks for any help.
Charles

D6B75B16AEFB448CB506EC195F26E8BD.jpg

Attachments

• D6B75B16AEFB448CB506EC195F26E8BD.jpg
    D6B75B16AEFB448CB506EC195F26E8BD.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 68

beendiggin

Reaction score
The green bottle looks like a Certo, a product commonly used in home canning. They're usually amber, though.

cpackjr

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
Certo gave me a place to start looking and it does seem like there are almost no references to green Certo bottles, but one collector mentioned that they come in several color varations and another says maybe some type of similar product. Thanks again

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause