QUICK "POPEYE SODA" QUESTION

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Re: RE: QUICK "POPEYE SODA" QUESTION

Matt: This is from September 14, 2007 - Page 12 - Post #235
SODAPOPBOB said:
Bongo ... which means bummer in California.

I just called all four of the Lincoln, NE Popeye's and every one of them thought I was some kind of crazy guy. One lady responded by saying, "Sir, I'm really busy right now and you'll have to call our corporate office about this. But I can tell you there is no Popeye soda bottle at this location." click/buzz ...

Anyway, I guess it was worth a shot. But definitely no Popeye bottle on display at the four locations I called. So now what am I supposed to do?

SPB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

And this is from September 16, 2007 - Page 13 - Post #245
SODAPOPBOB said:
acls ~

The guy called me back today and ...

1. It was 19 years ago that he saw what he thought was a Popeye bottle at a Popeye's Chicken Restaurant in Lincoln, Nebraska.
2. His memory of it is kind of blurry because he only saw it the one time.
3. He thinks, but isn't certain, that it was a clear bottle with a painted label.
4. He's pretty sure, but not certain, that it did not have a paper label.
5. It was among some other Popeye stuff that the owner, who was a novice Popeye collector, had on display, but can't recall what any of the other stuff was.
6. He remembers that the owner's name was Dwayne Hutchinson.

When I explained everything I knew about the brand/flavor, he said, "Wow, you guys are miles ahead of me on the research part. I didn't know any of that stuff. I heard about the bottle cap, but that's about it. I never knew there was a paper label."

So I really don't know what to make of his recollection. He openly admits that he "thinks" it had a painted label, but isn't 100% certain about it. And when I asked him if the label depicted an image of the Popeye character or just the name, he couldn't remember that either.

I enjoyed talking with him, but, unfortunately, don't consider his recollection as much of a lead. I'm pretty sure, although not certain, if there was ever a painted label Popeye soda pop made, that someone on this forum would either have one in their collection or at least know something about it.

If someone would like to try and hunt down Dwayne Hutchinson, please feel free to do so, as I most likely won't.

Thanks.

Bob

acls

Reaction score

Keep reading...... There are many follow up posts after post 245 including me giving you the phone number of the author of the letter and him giving you the name of the owner of the Popeye's restaurant/bottle.

acls

Reaction score

Right Bob. My point is that I provided you with a lead who gave you the name of someone who owns a Popeye soda bottle. I figured you would have pursued that. In your very first post you said you were looking for a photo of a Popeye bottle. This to me was the most promising lead to produce that vey thing.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

Matt: If you are referring to the Popeye's restaurant owner Dwayne Hutchinson, even though I said I wasn't going to hunt him down, I actually did try and find him but was unable to, so I just let it go at that.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

P.S. I'm wide open to suggestion if someone can tell me how to locate a person who managed a Popeye's restaurant 22 years ago.

acls

Reaction score

I brought it up because you said you weren't going to try to track him down. Finding him may be tough because there are probably a lot of Dwayne Hutchinsons in the world. I would start with contacting the guy who you spoke with originally and see if he knows of any way to get a hold of him. If not find out if the Popeye's he owned is still standing and call them. Ask if Dwayne still owns it and if not if they have his contact info. There is also spokeo on the internet, facebook, and whitepages.com. All are worth a shot if you are interested in trying.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

I called all three of the Popeyes in Lincoln, Nebraska and spoke with the managers. The first two managers listed below never heard of a Wayne Hutchinson.

However, the manager, Sherry, at the last listing was very helpful. She said she had worked for Popeyes for the past eight years and said the Hutchinson brothers used to own all three of the franchises, but that was before she started working there in 2007. In fact, until I mentioned the name Wayne Hutchinson she never knew either of the brothers first names. She only knew that the franchises were owned by the two brothers but that it was long before she joined the company. She also said there were never any Popeye collectibles on display in any of the three stores during her eight years. She said she never met the Hutchinson brothers and had no idea if they were still in the area and had no idea how to find them.

Popeyes® Louisiana Kitchen
741 N 48th St · (402) 464-3934
Derrick / Mgr. Popeyes® Louisiana Kitchen
5955 N 27th St · (402) 437-8790
Daniel / Mgr. Popeyes® Louisiana Kitchen
4400 S 70th St · (402) 486-9900
Sherry / Mgr.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

Typo Correction ... In my last post I wrote "Wayne" Hutchinson but meant Dwayne Hutchinson

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

Just for the record ... I just discovered that more often than not the name is spelled Duane and not Dwayne

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora