RARE? 1915 PURPLE AMETHYST COKE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capsoda

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with irradiated bottles. Some people like the colors. I do have a problem with people claiming that they are rare and selling them to folks who don't know any better. This guy is the king of crap. He sells alot of lajit looking stuff and it is pricey. All his bottles are super rare and many are nuked. He is a crook and he knows it. Don't buy anything from him because it will not be what he advertises. Beware of this seller.

I thought I had the Illustrated Guide to Coca-Cola Collectibles. Can't find it. May have to get another copy.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
is this radiated/fake? or is it really rare?

so to the original question...
Is it irradiated? Probably.
Is it fake? It doesnt seem to be.
Is it rare? It cetainly isnt common but a coke expert will have to say how rare it is.I doubt its $500 rare.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I found a clear 1915 no city in past auctions. It went for about $20 with the shipping. Do you think it'll get nuked? I doubt it. I think the majority of irradiated stuff was done years ago, not so much now. Well, the guy in Canada with the fruit jars.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Since 9/11 its probably isnt as easy to get close to neutron radiation sources.
Homer Simpson cant take them with him to the reactor anymore[:D]
I guess they can still throw a couple on the MRE processing line.

appliedlips

Reaction score
The answer is yes it has been irradiated.No,it was never clear to start with.Aqua glass that contains manganese that will turn colors also.They turn the same purples as clear bottles.There are alot of myths about the process that are not true.Cap mentioned browns,alot of newer post WW1 glass will turn shades of brown or amber,this will fade back to clear in time,purples will never fade or change back.Most bottles are not irradiated at nuclear generators and never were.The deep colors cannot be done with germicidal lamps at home.There are also alot of funky blue sodas(especially from the south)being sold as real.Irradiation can produce blues also.I have sold several irradiated purple hobbleskirts advertised honestly and they sell for $25-$35.I could make more so they definately aren't worth that kind of money.Doug

capsoda

Reaction score
the blue one I have is from Maine or New Hampshire. I got it from a forum member who dug it. never seen one down here or I would have bought it. I saw two other blue ones the day they were dug while I was up in Maine. All were Nov 16, 1915 bottles.

The purple ones will go back to there normal color if you put them in the a cold oven and set the temp for 200. Takes about three hours. I have done this with sodas and fruit jars. If you try it the bottle or jar must be free of dings, nicks and cracks. Try it on a low buck bottle until you get the temp right because all ovens are different.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Aqua glass that contains manganese that will turn colors also

I have tried this on a lot of aqua bottles and never found one that would change color, even the super light aqua ones. Not saying its not true but it cant be common. Wasnt the point of the manganese to turn the glass clear. I would think if it has enough manganese in the glass to turn purple then the glass would be clear to start with. A lot of clear bottles only seem to have a little manganese in them and dont turn purple much at all. It seems that one with so little manganese that it isnt even clear would turn purple even less.
Just my non-scientific observations.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Matt,

1800's aqua glass readily turns not at the percentage of clear but a good amount.Hobbleskirts are tougher as there wasn't much manganese being used when they were made.In sun coloring it takes alot of manganese to get a purple,with nuking a little dab a do ya.Naturally occuring manganese or mixed batches produce enough to turn it at high levels.The insulator collectors have been nuking glass for 30 years by the thousands,finding clear insulators before 1910 or so is pretty tough.Most of the nuked insulators started aqua.I have turned quite a few aqua bottles so it does happen.Doug

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis