RARE? 1915 PURPLE AMETHYST COKE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score
Here is one we can all agree would be very hard to find in clear.I assure you it was a medium aqua in color and never clear.It would have been worth quite a bit in clear and I would not have ruined it.I did this for my own enjoyment and don't intend on selling it.Most of the information on irradiation is put out there by the nay sayers and not the folks that have done it more than once.Most of the info online is false.

EF579A8E59A24218972557C2C232A80A.jpg

Attachments

• EF579A8E59A24218972557C2C232A80A.jpg
    EF579A8E59A24218972557C2C232A80A.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 118

cobaltbot

Reaction score
I know I blacklight check most of my bottles to see the potential for SCA. I have one very aqua swamp root remedy that glows which is rare from my limited experience. I always figured it had manganeze in it but also too much iron and that's why the aqua won out.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Here is one we can all agree would be very hard to find in clear.I assure you it was a medium aqua in color and never clear.It would have been worth quite a bit in clear and I would not have ruined it.I did this for my own enjoyment and don't intend on selling it.Most of the information on irradiation is put out there by the nay sayers and not the folks that have done it more than once.Most of the info online is false.

That's interesting. I agree there is a lot of false information out there that's why I like to discuss it on this board and experiment for myself. I'll have to try some more aqua bottles since I know it can be done. One thing I have not experimented with is the theory that SCA glass could be returned to clear using heat. I was always sceptical of that claim. The jar collectors in our bottle club did some experiments (since some jars are more rare clear than amethyst) and I think the results were all negative. Thanks for the good info.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Another question...when did they actually start putting manganese in the glass mixture? I'd always heard around the 1880s. Your flask is obviously made earlier. Was the manganese in that naturally occuring in the silica?
I expect like most changes in bottle making the transition from clear flint glass to manganese clear glass didnt happen in one year. Is there any record of when manganese was first purposefully used in glass in the USA?

edit..
According to Bill's site , as early as the 1820s...
http://www.sha.org/bottle/colors.htm#Colorless

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Page 10 ABF:
Oxide of manganese so used came to be called the glassmakers soap, doubtless because as Merrit said in his 1642 translation of Neri's The Art of Glass, "Manganese consumes all the natural greenness of glass".
It goes on but 1642 was known I guess.

bamascavenger

Reaction score
HUMABDOS, WHAT MAKES THIS RARE? THE BOTTLE MAKER ROOT? DID THEY MAKE ALL COCA COLA SS BOTTLES? OR WHERE THE BOTTLE IS FROM AND THAT IT IS FULL? OPIONIONS? 500 DOLLARS WOULD BUY ME SOME GREAT CHEAPER BOTTLES. HEHE![:D]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Isn't "Property Of Coca Cola Bottling Co." (non script) usually a flavor or water and not actually coke. That would make it ever rarer. I flavor bottle with real coke in it. WOW!!

I'll buy it and nuke it. Two grand easy!!!

marjorie040

Reaction score
I can't believe we haven't heard from Bottlenutboy!
Anyone know his whereabouts?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu