RARE? 1915 PURPLE AMETHYST COKE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capsoda

Reaction score
Spencer (Bottlenutboy) has gone preppy on us. He has gone and started a college education.

Way to go Spencer!!![:D]

epgorge

Reaction score
It doesn't look irradiated to me, if that is what you are asking. It is tough to say from a picture. It is a very nice color though. We will have to wait and see what the jar people say.

To each their own on the irradiating but, I cringe when I find a rare or uncommon bottle, irradiated. It is just me. SCA I like but the deeper furnace look I just don't find the appeal with it. Fair, at best.

Joel

appliedlips

Reaction score
Matt,

I think the early aqua stuff that turns is from naturally occuring manganese.I have found several glasshouses in which stuff turns at a higher percentage.The flask shown was blown in Zanesville and alot of their stuff turns or glows.Alot of 1858 jars in aqua will turn as will some cone inks.I have purple umbrella inks,a squat soda,cathedral peppersauce,and other traditional aqua bottles.Alot of the hutches turn from aqua to other colors.Aqua insulators are known to and do turn cobalts,olive greens,yellows,I have had a couple bottles turn light shades of blue but not cobalt.Heat will not effect the purple color,but will quickly change the ambers back,sometimes revealing a purple color underneath.Greens and browns are not permenant and if you produce one,selling it is dirty.It will change back to the original color.Doug

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
30 years ago, when I worked at a nuclear power plant, we would take various bottles, wrap them in plastic bags, and drop them into the spent fuel pool for 15 minutes. YOWZA! Instant dark purple from the radiation from the fuel rods. I did it solely for the entertainment of myself and others and did not profit from it in any way.

BTW, I did dig a clear 1915 hobbleskirt at a local dump. It is the only one I've seen and it went to a SoCal collector.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
30 years ago I protested a nuclear power plant and came back blue. It was about 10 degrees out.
lol.gif

#1twin

Reaction score
Hey Warren, Your starting to show your age with these type post[:D][:D][:D] Just don't tell them that I am older than you............whoops, did I say that in writing???? LOL [:D][:D][:D][:D]

Marvin

marjorie040

Reaction score
Spencer (Bottlenutboy) has gone preppy on us. He has gone and started a college education.

Way to go Spencer!!![:D]
Ditto's!! we'll have to wait for the winter break!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu