RARE? 1915 PURPLE AMETHYST COKE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capsoda

Reaction score
Yup, I remember. We would take them up to Pates Grocery (no convenient stores yet) and cash them in so we could get a bag full of penny candy. Those were great times mostly.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Those are some sweet old cokes buster. I'm going to take the blacklight to mine and see what glows.

DJFALLS

Reaction score
Love those Cokes. I remember the wagon full of bottles also. If I was doing that I was usually farther away from home than I was supposed to be. Remember cutting coupons out of publications and bringing them to the store for cash?

bigghouse

Reaction score
some guy told me if u lay the white bottles out on tiles in the sun they with turn that color

anna

logueb

Reaction score
Anna, If I placed the clear coke in the sun for 80+ years, it still would not turn the color of the coke in the first pic that started this thread. Most of the SCA glass that I have seen has more of the pinkisk tint rather than that darker purplish tint. That altered stuff just totaly turns me off. Just give me the ol sca done the old fashioned way.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I'd have to respectfully disagree with that since I ahve found SCA glass in old dumps that was that shade or even darker. I think it just matters what combinations of iron vs manganese the glass contains. I dont think its unreasonable to think that >100 years of sunlight might = a few days UV lamp exposure.

logueb

Reaction score
Matt, Your point is well taken, and I agree that I have seen various shades of sca colored glass. The point I was trying to get across to Anna was that of placing a clear bottle in the sun and expecting instant results. I believe that it takes a long time in the sun to achieve a color change. It would be great if there was some type of standard that one could use as a guide to determine if a bottle was naturally sca or altered. I have seen a lot of the Whitmore and Durkee's salad dressing and clear medicines lately for sale that I believe were altered because of the very dark purple. I have several of the clear ones and home and have been thinking about placing them on top of the shop building and checking every few weeks to see if there is any color change. If the heat breaks them, there is no loss.
I went back and read the first post and the ebay posting. He was very clever not to mention sca in his ad. "Beautiful purple amethyst" bottle is what he advertised.
Personally, I believe this was an altered bottle.

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
here are a couple pieces of very dark and original SCA ss cokes that i found pretty recently, these were dug in Cedartown, GA

16FE50E035E14C6E8FF1166121696F0B.jpg

Attachments

• 16FE50E035E14C6E8FF1166121696F0B.jpg
    16FE50E035E14C6E8FF1166121696F0B.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 116

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this, totally new to collecting. Just canceled my bid on a purple Tampa Florida bottle. I was wondering why a brown one supposedly from the 50's and in mint condition has the re-issue 1989 Christmas markings. I guess things have gotten much worse here in the future from this post lol

so any brown ones are totally fake as well?

There are legit brown straight-side Cokes which are fairly common (the straight-sides weren't standardized and can be found in all sorts of colours), but apart from the mysterious one with an X on the base mentioned early on in this post you won't find any legit hobbleskirts in brown that I'm aware of. I definitely wouldn't recommend paying extra for a brown hobbleskirt, or any other bottle which has that weird off-hue shade of brown that the irradiated hobbleskirts have because those were probably irradiated as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky