Reading a potential dig site

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sterling

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the site and the hobby. I recently managed to come across some old glass in the first area I had a hunch about. The spot is about 10 square feet and loaded with broken glass on the surface. A test hole revealed an inch deep layer of more broken pieces and just compacted clay below that. It seems too far from the nearby creek to have washed in from there and all be in one spot. Any tips or ideas on finding the source?

IMG_20200522_163024 - Copy.jpg IMG_20200531_152513 - Copy.jpg
Lucky break
IMG_20200603_220147 - Copy.jpg

yacorie

Reaction score
Did you try to go below the clay or try another test hole or two?

It’s possible that there isn’t a real source and you just happened upon a small dump area associates with a house? If you think this is a downstream deposit then you need to work upstream of that.
The picture does look like you’re in a wetland that has at least occasional flooding. Have you looked upstream?

mid you’re confident this is just a deposit then I would start hiking around upstream of the site and just look for more areas to investigate

RCO

Reaction score
obviously stuff was dumped there at some point in time , based on the amount of broken glass there . its tough to say if there is anything non broken there , have to dig deeper and in other areas near the site to see if anything else appears

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I found a small dump not too old but I just probed around to see if there is more down in the soil. Also you can probe to sometimes tell where it ends. This could give you an estimate of the size. I do a test hole just to get an ago approximation. If all looks good then start to digging. I expect that further down maybe older stuff.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

sterling

Reaction score
Did you try to go below the clay or try another test hole or two?

It’s possible that there isn’t a real source and you just happened upon a small dump area associates with a house? If you think this is a downstream deposit then you need to work upstream of that.
The picture does look like you’re in a wetland that has at least occasional flooding. Have you looked upstream?

mid you’re confident this is just a deposit then I would start hiking around upstream of the site and just look for more areas to investigate

There are houses very close by, now I'm thinking it is just a small dump area. Two 2.5ft holes revealed nothing (not sure if this is deep enough). I plan to do some more exploring this weekend; will check out upstream for sure. Starting to dream about finding whole bottles o_O

sterling

Reaction score
After some research I discovered a 1941 map that has marked right near this area "Quarry Pond (To Be Filled)". I wonder when it was actually filled and how deep it goes!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora