Real or Fake GIX-40 Scroll Flask?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mayhem

Reaction score
I currently have this littlebottle in my possession.Perhaps you saw it on eBay recently. I’ve only beenlooking at old glassperhaps 10 years so many of you are more experienced. Ilove a mystery and would love your opinion so let’sgo…

References:
1) McKearin / Wilson page 390 and a joining plate middlerowforth from right #11 – lists a sapphire blue Scroll Flask and referencesGIX-40in the flask charts. Height 2 ½”, Width 2 5/8” (typo? this would make theflaskwider than it is tall. I believe this should say 1 5/8”)

2) McKearin / Wilson page 374 and a joining plate middlerowfar right #10 – lists a colorless Scroll Flask with smooth bottom andathreaded neck for a screw cap. Height 2 15/16”, Width 1 ½”, Depth 13/16”.

3) McKearin / Wilson page 626 and a joining line drawingpage627 – lists a Miniature Scroll Flask that is 2 ½” tall, 1 ½” wide,verticalmedial rib, plain lip, oval base, pontil mark, Sapphire-blue, deep,Colorless.

Subject Flask:
Dimensions: Height 2 3/8”, Width 1 5/8”, Depth 13/16”.Heightis a little short (see Top below). Width and Depth seem to be right on.

Imperfections: It has a small potstone in the uppershoulder(see pic 1) and some flea bites on the top rim.

Texture: The glass has a very fine texture or “whittle” notvisible in the pictures. It looks like the pictures reveal swirls inthe glassthat the naked eye cannot see.

Color match: See attached examples. If you look at thebase,the thickest part of glass, it is a very close match to similar period bottles.

Top: I think much will be made regarding the top. Somehavespeculated it is a “burst top”. Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t thatacharacteristic of English inks? To me it appears as though the top edgesweregrinded to hide chips (see pic 3).

Base: Reference #1 indicates a pontil mark however reference#2 indicates a smooth bottom. Inconclusive.

Rarity: This is the only one I have ever seen. Whichisn’tsaying much but if it was a fake wouldn’t there be more around? Doesanyone outthere know someone who owns an original one of these?

Your opinion?

Thanks, Mayhem

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 141
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 149

John Ruth

Reaction score
Mayhem, I am a brand new member here and you are the reason I found Antique-bottles.net. I was trying to find out about my Minature flask I’ve had for 30 years or so which I bought at a Antique mall outside Niles Michigan. And Low and Behold the I see your flask. Mine is a Twin except for the top of mine is very rough, a “Burst Top” that I just read about. I always have wondered about my flask, like you I’ve never seen another one like it, not even in any of my Old Glass Books I have. I did read about the English connection with old penny ink bottles that have the Burst-Top. But I also read where American Early Glass company’s used the Burst-Top as early as the 1820’s. So I guess I’m hoping you found something out. Could ours be English? Why didn’t they take the time to finish the Top after they took it out of the Mold? I Hope you have an answer for me but if not I’m not giving up. What little Beauties they are. I wish I could have had answers for you. Take Care Mayhem, my New Friend.

Reactions: Roy

sandchip

Reaction score
I'd probably ask someone like Matt Lacy. If anybody can tell you, he can.

John Ruth

Reaction score
sandchip, thank you, please bear with me but I’m new here so how do I contact Matt Lacy? I don’t mean to be a Dummy

sandchip

Reaction score
sandchip, thank you, please bear with me but I’m new here so how do I contact Matt Lacy? I don’t mean to be a Dummy
Best way is on Facebook or better yet, just join and post it on American Historical Flasks (also on FB). A lot of knowledgable folks there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu