Really odd closure on whiskey bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
Found these while digging all that stuff last time. I went back for the rest of the stuff including these. I washed them off and saw that they were embossed Baltimore Club on the shoulder. I tried to search online for the company but couldn't find much. These are unique in the fact that they have an odd porcelain closure that is impressed pat. Applied for. The one without it was found with a broken one. The bottles seem to be 1910s era. Has any one else ever seen this closure before? Anyone have any information on this company?

Here are the bottles in question:
20210105_111001.jpg

20210105_111015.jpg

20210105_111044.jpg

Again excuse my camera for being blurry. Hopefully someone knows something about these.

Thanks,
PlaneDiggerCam

saratogadriver

Reaction score
My best guess is those are after market closures. They look vented. You would have used them if you were brewing something in the bottle, hard cider being one of the most common brews in the TOC era. My dad has talked about brewing cider in solid closed bottles, screw caps I think, and blowing up a whole brew, due to the pressure.

But that is truly a guess.

Jim G

NC btl-dvr

Reaction score
I believe those were shot pourers on the top that only allowed one shot at a time to come out.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I agree...the bottles were sold with these "permanently" installed to dispense a shot similar to what you see at a bar. I've seen them on a few different bottles that are just barely pre-Prohibition. There is no way to remove them without destroying the foil that crimps them to the bottle lip.

brent little

Reaction score
They are as we call them in good ole Canada....jiggers...used to dispense usually 1 ounce at a time,pretty cool.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora