Really, really new at this...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Micsher

Reaction score
Hi, all!

I'm probably the newest person at this...bottle collecting thing. I accidentally stumbled upon one over the weekend and I think I got hooked. Where do you all find your bottles? Do you actually "dig" them up? Where do you do that?

Any help at getting me started would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

Hannahbelle

Reaction score
Hey Michael,
I'm really new at this as well, I had stumbled over a few bottles sticking out of an old farm dump, and since then I've been addicted!
I've yet to find some amazing huge dump or privy like lots of the people here have, but I'm trying.
Basically what I am doing is finding either abandoned houses that date back to 1900 or earlier, and am trying to locate where they would have thrown their garbage.
You can usually tell where by some metal lying around....that's how I've found things so far.
Apparantly a metal detector helps, it can help you pinpoint where the dump might be.
I found only two bottles this past weekend, but I'm telling you, when you dig something up that's whole, it just fuels the addiction even more!

Good luck!

diggerjeff

Reaction score
YOU NEW PEOPLE NEED TO GET THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL TO A BOTTLE COLLECTOR!!! THAT WOULD BE A PROBE. IT IS ESSENTIAL IN FINDING PRIVIES Or DUMPS. ONE OF OUR MEMBERS SELLS THEM HERE IS HIS LINK!!
http://www.varelichunter.com
it will be the best investment to this hobby you could make, and they are fairly inexpensive.

Hannahbelle

Reaction score
So, a probe is good for finding dumps too?
I guess so, eh?
Considering that I spent a hell of alot of time last weekend scraping off the dead leaves from the ground, searching for metal and broken glass, and digging tons of "test" holes!
How does it work for finding a dump?

diggerjeff

Reaction score
get one about 4' or shorter to start. just push it in the ground and you will be able to feel trash. i always warm up a little by probing clean soil in the area. i will prob in the front yard to "get a feel " for the type of soil , and then i will go to the back and poke around for trash pits or privies. all the pre 1900 houses you have been checking out ,i am sure they have a few privies in each yard. look for depressions in the ground.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster