Recent Bottles Cleaned up (Ireland)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ronayne88

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not sure if I am posting in the right section - I know a lot about my bottles and want to show them to you but also have a few minor questions about some.

My first bottle was found lying on top of an old stone boundary wall in an overgrown part of the woods I dig in. It is an old Guinness bottle and can be reliably dated to between 1922 - 1937 as indicated by the SE symbol. This stands for Saorstát Éireann or Irish Free State which was in place between 1922–1937. A nice bottle. It also has the a name (Coleman & Sons Ltd) as well as the current name of my hometown (Cobh). The town was named Queenstown between 1849 commemorating a visit from Queen Victoria. It was renamed Cobh in 1922 with the formation of the Irish Free State. Not too old but it has some history and I like it.

35l5f9l.jpg

Next is a nice little ink bottle

j5dlw9.jpg

Next is a nice poison bottle. It has what I think you call an aplied lip (?) What exactly were these used for and what date would people think it came from?

nwk4ys.jpg

Next up is a mineral bottle which says Cade's & Sons, Cork. The cool symbol in the centre is an F and a C and stands for first class. The lip has a mold seam but the bottle has a green tint so I reckon it must be from around 1930?

mm3ads.jpg

Next is another larger Cade's mineral bottle but this is clearly much older. It has an applied lip, has a green tint and has a cruder appearance with bubbles in the glass. PArt of the cork was still inside.

116s5zn.jpg

Next is a really crude looking bottle. The thickness of the glass is uneven and it has many large bubbles and also had a green tint. It appears that it would have taken a glass stopper. This reads "Essence Coffee & Chicory", "Newsom & Sons Ltd", "Cork". The bottom has a very weird finish - what is this called? Any ideas of a rough date on this one?

166x5ab.jpg

1il8vp.jpg

34rhf5u.jpg

3wrhc.jpg

This final bottle is what I suppose you could call a heart-breaker. This is the coolest bottle I have ever seen. It has a four piece mold with huge embossing. It says O'Rielly & Sons Ltd Queenstown. They were bakers and beer/mineral suppliers in Queenstown (now called Cobh). I have recently found out (via my grandmother) that both my great grandfather & great great grandfather worked high up at this business. Maybe they sold this bottle... It is very crude with lots of bubbles, the bottom just has a rough R on it. Queenstown was the name of the town between 1849 & 1922. This bottle is surely 1800s? What date might it be from? Pity about the lip!!! PS What is the "Patent" on the bottle for?

33xhhtl.jpg

23swuc7.jpg

2z3wcvl.jpg

Well, I hope ye like the bottles and hope ye can provide me with some extra info.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Seán

rockbot

Reaction score
Welcome! quite a variety of bottles. I like the "essence coffee & chicory" It has a nice applied top. Around here we see applied top bottles dating before 1890, although "LTD" usually shows up after 1900. I would be interested to see what others think.

Thanks for sharing.

Rocky

RedGinger

Reaction score
That's neat. I enjoyed your post. Slainte!

P.S. I like that blue poison a lot and the black bottle on your last post.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator