Red Cross Pharmacy Peoria, IL

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SWKY1

Reaction score
I'm looking for information about this little pill/medicine bottle Says:
THE RED CROSS PHARMACY COR MAIN & JEFFERSON STS
PEORIA, ILLS.

Bottom:
BREED
? MBMCO? Hard for me to read.
Excellent condition. My father used to dig at old house sites a lot. This was in his collection.
Can anyone tell me about it.

Attachments

• 20200727_133123.jpg
    20200727_133123.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 138
  • 20200727_133146.jpg
    20200727_133146.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 134

Drift

Reaction score
Hello, I couldn't find your bottle, but I see this listing in Central Illinois Bottles and Glasses:

RED CROSS PHARMACY (Cross) PEORIA, ILL

BT. 7 1/2". MM. Clear

And this one might be related since it also mentions the corner of Main and Jefferson:

JAS. S. BELL (Mortar and Pestle) APOTHECARY
333 MAIN ST. COR. JEFFERSON PEORIA, ILL.

CS. 4 5/8". HM. CLEAR.

CS = cork seal, HM = hand made, BT = blob top, MM = machine made

I suspect that with the ILLS abbreviation, yours is from the turn of the century or older. Very cool bottle! Do you know if your father found it in Peoria or did it turn up elsewhere? Thanks for sharing.

Drift

Reaction score
I don't know if you're interested in general information about the pharmacy, but I found this from a book from 1915:

"RED CROSS PHARMACY

The Red Cross Pharmacy, located at the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Fulton Street, was established eleven years ago by Mr. William D. Lacey, the present proprietor. Born and educated in Laceyville, Pennsylvania, Mr. Lacey came to Peoria in 1904 and opened a drug store. By strict application to his work and a thorough knowledge of compounding prescriptions his business developed, and to-day it is one of the leading drug stores in Peoria. The Red Cross Pharmacy
is a general dealer in a full and complete line of drugs, druggists' sundries, rubber and toilet goods, candies, cigars, stationery, etc. A specialty is made of the pre-
scription department, being under the personal supervision of Mr. Lacey and in charge of registered pharmacists. The firm also features a foot powder, toilet cream and headache and cold tablets of its own manufacture. Fraternally Mr. Lacey is a member of the Fraternal Aid Association, and also the Modern Wood-
men of America, Ancient Order United Workmen, Travelers' Protective Association and the Peoria Association of Commerce. A man without pretense, absorbed in
his work and bent on doing the best he can for everybody, Mr. Lacey has made many friends and is counted among the good substantial residents of Peoria."

And this postcard where it's visible:

Attachments

• e2dfb49c3a5cd910169d664bb1973737.jpg
    e2dfb49c3a5cd910169d664bb1973737.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 109

SWKY1

Reaction score
Hello, I couldn't find your bottle, but I see this listing in Central Illinois Bottles and Glasses:

RED CROSS PHARMACY (Cross) PEORIA, ILL

BT. 7 1/2". MM. Clear

And this one might be related since it also mentions the corner of Main and Jefferson:

JAS. S. BELL (Mortar and Pestle) APOTHECARY
333 MAIN ST. COR. JEFFERSON PEORIA, ILL.

CS. 4 5/8". HM. CLEAR.

CS = cork seal, HM = hand made, BT = blob top, MM = machine made

I suspect that with the ILLS abbreviation, yours is from the turn of the century or older. Very cool bottle! Do you know if your father found it in Peoria or did it turn up elsewhere? Thanks for sharing.
Thank you! We lived in a small town about 15 miles out of Peoria. There were a couple old homes that had been left to fall down that we used to dig around, as well as a few gullies people used to throw their trash a very long time ago. He probably found it there.

I appreciate you sharing the info with me.

Drift

Reaction score
Thank you! We lived in a small town about 15 miles out of Peoria. There were a couple old homes that had been left to fall down that we used to dig around, as well as a few gullies people used to throw their trash a very long time ago. He probably found it there.

I appreciate you sharing the info with me.

You're welcome! I wonder if I'm digging some of the same gullies. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp