Related Brooklyn ponies?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

treeguyfred

Reaction score
I have a couple of Brooklyn squat ponies that look nearly identical except for the names and a 2 year difference. One is J. Nevin 1862 Brooklyn applied lip and smooth base. The other is F. Knebel 1860 Brooklyn applied lip, smooth base with a star in center and the back has a large fancy K. As I wrote this and further examined the bottles to properly describe them I did notice that both names are embossed with serif but the Brooklyn on the Nevin bottle is sans serif while the Knebel has serif. Anyone care to weigh in? I'm posting this while trying to update my GF's iphone and reporting my phone stolen from our local Home Depot so I'm not able to do much detective work right now IMG_6921.JPG
IMG_6916.JPG
IMG_6919.JPG
IMG_6925.JPG
IMG_6923.JPG
IMG_6922.JPG

Last edited:

yacorie

Reaction score
I don’t have any real answers except to say that Brooklyn has so many similar bottles that it’s so hard to keep track of them. I have a few around here that I’ll take a look at.

I like the one with the K embossed. One thing I’ve been trying to do is put together the entire alphabet using bottles that have these late embossed letters. I doubt I’ll be able to complete it but still fun to try

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I would think they were made by the same glass house.. or if not, that was the style popular at the time.
I've got a Knebel from Brooklyn which has a different font style altogether, I'll get a pic up later on.

treeguyfred

Reaction score
I don’t have any real answers except to say that Brooklyn has so many similar bottles that it’s so hard to keep track of them. I have a few around here that I’ll take a look at.

I like the one with the K embossed. One thing I’ve been trying to do is put together the entire alphabet using bottles that have these late embossed letters. I doubt I’ll be able to complete it but still fun to try
Yep Yacorie, that was my understanding about Brooklyn sodas and beers. I'd love to see some of your Brooklyn bottles! Thanks for the reply..
~Fred

treeguyfred

Reaction score
I would think they were made by the same glass house.. or if not, that was the style popular at the time.
I've got a Knebel from Brooklyn which has a different font style altogether, I'll get a pic up later on.
Those are two very plausible ideas cyber, and I would really like to see your Knebel! Thanks for the reply.
~Fred

cyberdigger

Reaction score
So my memory of this bottle is a little freezer-burned, it's not specifically Brooklyn, though it could be I guess, but more likely Manhattan:
H Knebel / No. 458 4th St / New York
I would date it 1870s

Attachments

• Knebel1.jpg
    Knebel1.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Knebel2.jpg
    Knebel2.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 218

treeguyfred

Reaction score
So my memory of this bottle is a little freezer-burned, it's not specifically Brooklyn, though it could be I guess, but more likely Manhattan:
H Knebel / No. 458 4th St / New York
I would date it 1870s
It's still a fine bottle cyber! I really don't seek out NY bottles ...but they come to me one way or another.
~Fred

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Yep they come to me pretty regularly too, mainly because I buy them because there's something cool about them. I almost wish I collected NYC, just for the diversity of molds and slugplates.. only thing about NYC is not much color besides aqua for some reason.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Yep they come to me pretty regularly too, mainly because I buy them because there's something cool about them. I almost wish I collected NYC, just for the diversity of molds and slugplates.. only thing about NYC is not much color besides aqua for some reason.
C.D. i live across the river from NYC they appear quite often. Also NY State ones. I like them but do not hold a candle to English made they have some of the most amazing embossed bottles i think handsdown. Weird because i don't collect them, being a Red Blooded American.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum