Repainting ACLs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BottleEnthusiast

Reaction score
I have been working on repainting this beat up ACL to try it out. Its a Deri-del chocolate drink and its pretty difficult to have straight lines. Any info on the bottle would be appreciated, and let me know if i should finish painting it. The reason I did it is because of all the cracks throughout it
IMG_20210920_163000.jpg

Last edited:

embe

Reaction score
Good question...(sorry, not familiar with the brand, sentimentality, or how much of the ACL remained) I just wouldn't have the patience or surgeons hand for that type of line work on curved glass to make it worthwhile. If anything I'd look into getting a decal made up. and call it a day, but that's just me.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I never attempt to improve painted items. I guess that comes from my days of collecting beer/soda cans. It is highly frowned upon in those hobbies. A poor looking bottle/sign due to having been exposed to the elements is not shameful, it's just is what it is. I would like every item to be perfect, but that is not the case a lot of the time. A bottle/sign that is poor looking due to a botched touch up is shameful. I am no artist so I don't attempt this type of restoration. Color matching is also difficult for me. I know my limits. I just enjoy the sad looking stuff as much as the good looking stuff. A lot of the time it is amazing that it has survived at all.

BottleEnthusiast

Reaction score
I never attempt to improve painted items. I guess that comes from my days of collecting beer/soda cans. It is highly frowned upon in those hobbies. A poor looking bottle/sign due to having been exposed to the elements is not shameful, it's just is what it is. I would like every item to be perfect, but that is not the case a lot of the time. A bottle/sign that is poor looking due to a botched touch up is shameful. I am no artist so I don't attempt this type of restoration. Color matching is also difficult for me. I know my limits. I just enjoy the sad looking stuff as much as the good looking stuff. A lot of the time it is amazing that it has survived at all.
I decided to do it because it has lots of cracks throughout it

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
They make a glass paint you bake on afterwards at 160 degrees for 1 hour. It is like glass and dishwasher safe. It comes in pens, wide, medium and fine tips. I draw on glass.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

• 16321814272986093195870422023297.jpg
    16321814272986093195870422023297.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 94

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Thanks, it has been sitting in my one window for the last 10 years. Bright sun did nothing to the color. I wonder if you can stain a ghost acl with it. I will let you know if it works. Don't know that I have one at hand but there are loads of them around my area.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Thanks, it has been sitting in my one window for the last 10 years. Bright sun did nothing to the color. I wonder if you can stain a ghost acl with it. I will let you know if it works. Don't know that I have one at hand but there are loads of them around my area.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
You seem to have a good skill at painting, but as Bruce said to match up the texture and color of something is going to be noticeable. With that being said if you enjoy doing it, giddy up.

iowacl

Reaction score
If you really want to try and repaint take some 2" or wider plain manila masking tape and tape over your label. Take an X-Acto knife (or similar) and cut out what you want to repaint. Multiple colors you may need to cut out 1 color, paint, then cut out the other color. Requires a steady hand but not nearly as steady as free hand painting.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora