Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Repairing cracks in pontiled sodas

opmustard

Jan 14, 2021
Anyone out there know if you can repair cracks in pontiled sodas.
I have two of my favorite sodas that have cracks in them.
These aren't high end bottles, but they're both are special to me.
Thanks,
opmustard

Harry Pristis

Jul 24, 2003
Northcentral Florida
Cracks and natural voids in rubies, for example, are filled with a very thin oil. I've always wondered if the same treatment might make a crack in a bottle invisible. Required would be the oil and probably a vacuum chamber to remove the air in the crack and to replace it with the oil. I don't ever expect to try this -- it's just a thought-experiment for me.

CanadianBottles

May 24, 2014
Yeah like Harry says it might be theoretically possible - don't they repair cracks in windshields? But I've never heard of someone doing it successfully on a bottle and it would require some serious specialized equipment.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Jan 11, 2020
New Jersey
Palm or cedar oil is used to hide flaws in rubies like Harry said. Like C.B. said it would take some serious equipment like the pre mentioned vacuum chamber. I would try using Opticon, maybe able to dye it but I am not sure.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

opmustard

Jan 14, 2021
My memory isn't the best by a long shot, but years ago I thought that I read or heard that you could repair a crack in a bottle by using resin? and a vaccum. I think that you would take the vaccum and somehow attach it to the lip and then suck the resin into the crack. Anyone ever heard of this method?
opmustard

ROBBYBOBBY64

Jan 11, 2020
New Jersey
I fixed a broken insulator. I used finishing epoxy. I had all the pieces. 13 if I remember correctly. I can see the cracks still if I look carefully. The epoxy is clearer than the glass.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brentonsomers