Repro?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm repro or original? I have 2 "historical" flasks, neither has pontil marks, neither have any indication as to manufacturer marks. The first is approx. 8 inches high, 5 1/2 inches wide(at the widest part) and about 3 1/2 inches deep. Amber in color. There seems to be a seam running to the top, but it is hard to tell. It almost looks like the seam was ground or rubbed down. It does have a few bubble bursts, a lot of flea bites(mainly concentrated at the “horseshoe“ shaped ribs on the side) there is a total of 7 ribs, as well as a few bubbles inside the glass. The embossing is very uniform throughout the piece. On the obverse is Abraham Lincoln with the phrase "WITH MALICE TOWARD NONE". On the reverse is a log cabin with a post split rail fence, with the phrase "WITH CHARITY FOR ALL". It has a smooth base(no noticeable pontil mark), and the lip seems to have been cut or ground off. This is a very thick, heavy piece.
The second one is approx. 7 1/2 inches high, 5 1/4 inches wide, and 3 1/2 deep. Aqua in color. This piece is thin and light. The seam is similar to the first flask. There is a total of 13 “ribs†on the side.On the obverse is a Bald Eagle with a sunburst behind the head perched upon an American shield, with branches below the shield. On the reverse is an American flag, with the phrase "FOR OUR COUNTRY." (YES, THERE IS A PERIOD AFTER THE WORD COUNTRY)It is loaded with flea bites. I have seen a pic of a repro(on eBay) and it was stated to be a repro, asking $125.00 for it. It was almost identical, except for the “divots" at the base of the neck on the shoulder. This has the same smooth base and lip as the first one. I have been told they are Coffin & Hay, Dyottville, Kensington, Knox-McKee, Lockport Glass Works, and Clevenger! What a range! Repro or not? If it is repro, any idea who did them? I think they are god aweful ugly, but if they are worth more than $20.00, I will keep them, otherwise they are getting pitched! Thank you!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
They sound like the Wheaton presidential series but I thought they were marked, Maybe there is a "Fake" pontil on the base. Are the round like a drum with a neck and luminecent?
The second one did get repro'd by Clevenger.

Reaction score
No, not round, and not even a fake pontil, no marks of anykind, anywhere...here's a pic of the President Lincoln flask...

Attachments

• 2B29B7F7733144EDA339349E5B66FBEB.jpg
    2B29B7F7733144EDA339349E5B66FBEB.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 178

whiskeyman

Reaction score
SPIDER...the Lincoln flask is an an authentic adaptation dating from about 1964 and was most likely issued during the Civil War Centennial. It was possibly made by LE Smith Glass Company. These do show up on eBay occasionally...

As for the Our Country flask...a pic would be more useful in Iding it. Clevenger Bros did make a repRo of this flask in assorted colors... being as yours is aqua - it may be an original.

Reaction score
Thanks so much Whiskeyman! I will definately pitch Prez. Lincoln. Here is a pic of the eagle/flag flask. Notice the "divot" at the shoulder...repro, huh? Who made it? $$? Should I pitch this one as well? Again, thank you.

Attachments

• E26759E8BB4C4D44881554620928C00B.jpg
    E26759E8BB4C4D44881554620928C00B.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 218
Reaction score
Here's the thing...Every single Clevenger example I have looked at, does NOT have the "divot/crease" that mine has. I am open to it being a repro, but I am not convinced it is Clevenger. Here is a closer pic of the "divot/crease" in the shoulder of it.

4C67F62EE10D4EBBAE240E9C138CDCDB.jpg

Attachments

• 4C67F62EE10D4EBBAE240E9C138CDCDB.jpg
    4C67F62EE10D4EBBAE240E9C138CDCDB.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 187

whiskeyman

Reaction score
SPIDER..I noticed that too..
I looked at my examples and at others online and none attributed to Clevenger has that odd "divot."
Does appear to otherwise be identical, with the additional exception of : a longer neck on your flask.
A puzzler, for sure.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
BTW...don't "toss" the Lincoln flask,,,It has value...under $20 but value nonetheless.
Someone somewhere will want it.
I 'd offer to take it off your hands, but I already have three...

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It's odd, I'll agree. I read somewhere that even Clev-Bro had to have some of their stuff made for them, much in Czechoslovakia. This is a definate 5¢ worth.
Either way, the neck is all wrong.

Reaction score
Thank you everyone, for letting me pick your brains! I appreciate your 2, 5 and 10 cents worth, lol. We have established they are both repros. The blue one is definately a poser. Do you have any idea how hard it is to search for info on repros, that aren't Clevenger?! Anyways, thanks again. I guess I will stick them on eBay for a buck or two. Ugly things! Happy Digging!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora