RI Creek Find - Agnews & Wilcox whiskey?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

simulant

Reaction score
Hi all & Happy Mother's Day. So recently I got myself and my 8 yr old son waders and we tried a couple of ok spots but nothing to write home about. So I did some research on a couple of 1890s maps which brought us to another creek and BOOM, started hitting 100+ yr old bottles! There are bottles literally everywhere and we are having a blast! I plan on posting more of our finds on here but for now I wanted to get this one out here.

It's a whiskey flask with "GUARANTEED FULL PINT" on the face and just "A&W" on the base. I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the root beer. I did some research and I'm really hoping this is an 1868-1872 Agnews & Wilcox bottle, but hoping some of the experts here can confirm. The bottles we are finding are pretty mucky from being in the creek for over a century. Most of them have this layer of leaf-matter film that partially flakes off in the sun, but I really need a decent way of cleaning this stuff off so let me know if anyone knows the best way to get this film off the bottles. Trying to be very careful on the special finds. This one does appear to be clear but man that film is tough.

If better pictures are needed just let me know.

Thanks!

AnW1.jpeg

AnW2.jpeg

AnW3.jpeg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Looks to new to date to those time periods. Would be curious to see what else you found. Welcome to the Site. LEON.

Huntindog

Reaction score
Muriatic acid will take that off.
Soak it in a plastic tub a little at a time.
Do it outside in a well ventilated area where if you spill it it won't do damage.
Wear your PPE... gloves, eye protection, apron that sort of thing.
Rinse well and wash with soap and water..

simulant

Reaction score
Thanks, I've been wanting to try muriatic acid. Should I dilute with half water?

willong

Reaction score
Thanks, I've been wanting to try muriatic acid. Should I dilute with half water?
I would certainly try a dilute mixture first, if for no other reason than it will make you cleaning product last longer.

Get yourself a large plastic jug such as a gallon salsa container (they already contained an acidic product so residual contents in the plastic won't tend to neutralize your acid or produce dangerous gases, and they are generally quite stout and durable) and save your mixture to reuse until it no longer produces bubbles from calcium deposits encrusting your bottles. At that point, it might still be a good toilet bowl cleaner :D.

Be sure to heed Huntindog's advice on PPE. And show the us the "After" photo when you get to that point please.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi