River finds 2005

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madpaddla

Reaction score
Hello all:

New to digging but really enjoying it. Here are the finds of 2005 nothing much really but a nice start for a novice.

Tr49603.jpg

Attachments

• Tr49603.jpg
    Tr49603.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 78

madpaddla

Reaction score
This is absolutely amazing. I was new to the digging scene etc. I ended up walking down the river lookin here and there. I then found the first jug.....sitting on top of the water. Simply resting there. Unbelieveable not saying this for sensationalism etc I just couldn't believe it. As if it was trash 100 years removed.

The second happened just about the same way. I was doin some "brook stompin" or "creek hoppin" and resting on top of some rocks in the middle of the river was the ceramic ink well. Just sitting there. The river as the earth must move in different ways over the years and expose these items etc. Just nice that I was walking along.

Madpaddla

Tr49325.jpg

Attachments

• Tr49325.jpg
    Tr49325.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 70

madpaddla

Reaction score
Last one:

These are just the other finds:

I have also purchased 5 books from Amazon and one is just be first released on Jan 18. If anyone wants to find out if they are a good read ill post the books soon.

Thanks all I love the site,

Madpaddla

Vt56418.jpg

Attachments

• Vt56418.jpg
    Vt56418.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 69

Mainely Broken

Reaction score
Very nice finds!!! Thinking of doing some brook stomping myself this summer! Never tried it before...any hints on what to look for? There use to be an old mill of some type on this brook/river I'll be checking. I don't think I'll find much glass stuff but just maybe some pottery. Thanks for any hints you can give...
Vicky

madpaddla

Reaction score
Thanks Dirt about the gingers. Dont know much about the dates of em.

Mainely - I'm putting together some ideas on brook stompin. I got relatives in Maine, up there about 3 times a year. See ya on the river.

Mapaddla

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Madpaddler...

Hey Ben, give us "mainers" advanced notice before you come up, I'm sure we'd all like to meet you and get some pointers on finding bottles along the rivers... Now that river you're walking, does it have any deep spots where a guy could drop in with scuba gear and check it out...Those are the only bottles I keep... I just leave the shore bottles for my two boys to collect, until they learn how to dive that is...

Wayne

madpaddla

Reaction score
Hey all:

Also can't wait to meet you all although I'll be abit nervous near all you pro's. Here are the notes I've put together about "Brook Stompin" and/or "Creek Hoppin".

Materials : (1) 1 large backpack (more moble) (2) tons of socks (great to protect the bottles (3) good shoes/waders depending on area (4) HAT (5) water container (6) spray

Atmosphere: (1) A super sunny day is best (they just SHINE) (all seasons), (2) a hard winter and dry summer (mixes up the ground in the winter and spring - dries it out in the summer and fall)

River: Look for a river that is part of an old town or has a history.

Environment: Know all industrial factors and animal life expected on route. You are out of your element while on a river. This is their home.

CHEATS: (1) traverse rivers at different times of year in various modes of transport (kayak/canoe/on foot/waders (2) hat shades the sun to show bottles (3) Always go after a real dry spell (5) TREES/BRANCHES/LARGE THINGS - always check where there is a build up of sediment. I have found tons of bottles in these places. (6) MAPS - search the internet for old maps esp topography maps by the military. They show hillsides, settlements, and esp. river routes.

HELPFUL : Bring a plastic bag and pick up any broken glass bottles etc. If you plan on returning save your time and cleans it up also. Thanks for being helpful.

Thanks Antique-Bottle

Ben

THANKS ANTIQUE BOTTLE

Mainepontil

Reaction score
Cool website you have there. I used to do some whitewater, had a Perception Dancer. That was before I was really into bottles though.

You seem to be finding quite a few in your water travels.

Joel

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1