Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Robert Turlington's Balsam Of Life

cowseatmaize

Dec 2, 2004
Northeastern USA
Osborn’s recipe included powdered St. John’s Wort, the reason for which is unknown.
In Charles Millspaughs "Medicinal Plants" of 1892 he notes a Brazilian species used as an astringent for sore throats. That would go along nicely in a consumption cure.
In Russia one was thought to cure Rabies and another species used in the Isle of France as a specific for syphilis.

Steve/sewell

Jan 23, 2010
ORIGINAL: Road Dog

It has some lip chippage , but it only cost me 3 bucks at an antique mall in the NC mountains.
Its a win win for all, your 47 ahead and I am ecstatic Rory!!

Steve/sewell

Jan 23, 2010
I recently obtained Rory (Road dogs) Flint glass Turlington bottle.This is a very old version of this bottle after 1754 but I quite confident before 1780.I have colored the embossing of the letters in water color ink.This bottle is less then one and three quarter inches tall.This first picture is for comparative reasons only. They could really cram the letters on these bottles.I used a high powered lens from a telescope I am building to look at the glass close up The magnification allowed me to see the date on the side of the bottle.

Attachments

Steve/sewell

Jan 23, 2010
I also have good reason to believe that this bottle is English in origin and it does spell the word Balsam as Balsom.
Here is the patent drawing Robert Turlington applied for in 1754.This bottle is very similar to this drawing.

Attachments

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarhead52