Round bottom..Ballast bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Grandpa Dave

Reaction score
I have seen a few ballast bottles, but not with a crown top. The letters KB are on the bottom. Anyone have any ideas or possibly age on this one?

Attachments

• Ballast bottle.jpg
    Ballast bottle.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 100
  • ballast bottle 2.jpg
    ballast bottle 2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 98

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah it's a ginger ale bottle, probably dates to around the 1910s-20s or so. I don't think the round bottom actually served any purpose by that point, but it was still sometimes used because it was associated with high-class imported ginger ale. In the crown top era it was more common to see the semi-rounded bottoms which could stand on their own but were easy to knock over.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Well if its a hand-tooled crown top that's turn of the 20th century. Very unusual to see that on a round bottom-bottle because wasn't the point of the round-bottom so the bottle was always placed on its side so the cork in the top stayed wet? Crown tops didn't use corks so the round bottom is unnecessary. Maybe it was just made by a company trying to hold on to its tradition and the look that had defined its product to its customers in the past. People probably still recognized the shape as being the product they purchased in the 19th century before bottle caps were invented. I'm sure nostalgia sold even back then. Also people still had their fancy silver round-bottom bottle holders, they had to use them for fancy and special occasions.

HunterTheFox59

Reaction score
I've also got a crown-top torpedo bottle with an applied top. It's also marked with KB which I believe stands for Kilner Brothers. I'm not sure though as I don't know much about these bottles.
20181011_174931.JPG

20181011_175009.JPG

Grandpa Dave

Reaction score
Yes, I believe the KB does stand for Kilner Brothers--English glass company.

Grandpa Dave

Reaction score
Yeah it's a ginger ale bottle, probably dates to around the 1910s-20s or so. I don't think the round bottom actually served any purpose by that point, but it was still sometimes used because it was associated with high-class imported ginger ale. In the crown top era it was more common to see the semi-rounded bottoms which could stand on their own but were easy to knock over.

Last edited:

Grandpa Dave

Reaction score
Well if its a hand-tooled crown top that's turn of the 20th century. Very unusual to see that on a round bottom-bottle because wasn't the point of the round-bottom so the bottle was always placed on its side so the cork in the top stayed wet? Crown tops didn't use corks so the round bottom is unnecessary. Maybe it was just made by a company trying to hold on to its tradition and the look that had defined its product to its customers in the past. People probably still recognized the shape as being the product they purchased in the 19th century before bottle caps were invented. I'm sure nostalgia sold even back then. Also people still had their fancy silver round-bottom bottle holders, they had to use them for fancy and special occasions.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu