Round Bottomed Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
I gambled this week and picked up another bottle collection. There were abut fifty bottles all individually wrapped in newprint. I did a quick check of a couple and figured the works had to be worth the $40 the fellow was asking. When I got home I went through them and found about half weren't worth the paper they were wrapped in. However, there was a nice embossed Gold Seal by Coca-Cola, a Fernie Brewing Company beer bottle with label and a few embossed U.S. bottles. I was kind of hoping for some older soda bottles but no luck there. Two of the bottles were these strange round bottomed ones. While I have a few round bottomed soda bottles, these looked totally different. Checking on what is being sold on the internet I found descriptions ranging from the 1850's to the 1950's. They look too new for me so the oldest I think they are is the 1950s. Does anyone know anything at all about them?

Attachments

• IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 88

Johnny M

Reaction score
I gambled this week and picked up another bottle collection. There were abut fifty bottles all individually wrapped in newprint. I did a quick check of a couple and figured the works had to be worth the $40 the fellow was asking. When I got home I went through them and found about half weren't worth the paper they were wrapped in. However, there was a nice embossed Gold Seal by Coca-Cola, a Fernie Brewing Company beer bottle with label and a few embossed U.S. bottles. I was kind of hoping for some older soda bottles but no luck there. Two of the bottles were these strange round bottomed ones. While I have a few round bottomed soda bottles, these looked totally different. Checking on what is being sold on the internet I found descriptions ranging from the 1850's to the 1950's. They look too new for me so the oldest I think they are is the 1950s. Does anyone know anything at all about them?
I have seen Italian labeled wine bottles like these woven into a flat bottomed wicker or straw type base to keep them upright. I dug a few once where the rotted basket bottom was in tatters in the mud around them and the inner bottle is round just like these. They may have some age but they are pretty common in my experience.

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
I have seen Italian labeled wine bottles like these woven into a flat bottomed wicker or straw type base to keep them upright. I dug a few once where the rotted basket bottom was in tatters in the mud around them and the inner bottle is round just like these. They may have some age but they are pretty common in my experience.
Thanks, I thought they looked pretty new and I felt I saw similar bottles somewhere but I wasn't sure where. Would the mid 20th century be about right or are they still using similar bottles today?

Johnny M

Reaction score
I don't know if they still use these today. I think I saw something similar once in a plastic type holder but not sure. They could be older than the 1950s and I even dug a pontiled one once out of a well in Providence RI. Probably neither here or there as in my experience they are more novelty appeal than valuable. I had a pretty big one in my 20s and called it a bubble bottle for fun.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
I found this one in a 1910 landfill. I have seen them in a 1950's landfill as well but the lips are machined on the 1950's variant. The older one from 1910 is tooled lipped.
20221009_235800.jpg

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
I found this one in a 1910 landfill. I have seen them in a 1950's landfill as well but the lips are machined on the 1950's variant. The older one from 1910 is tooled lipped.
View attachment 240554
Thanks UnderMiner. I checked mine and they look almost identical to yours but I can't make out the lip of yours very well. Mine have seams running up the sides of the bottle until just below the lip. Then the lip appears to have seams but they are 90 degrees from the seams of the bottle. To use a clock to make my statement a little easier to understand, the seams on the bottle are at 12 and 6 while the seams on the lip are at 3 and 9.

HouTxSoda

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the Gold Seal bottle please?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado