Rum cups

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jstorm

Reaction score
Not sure if I have the correct name for these, wondering if anyone wants to trade for some Acls? Thanks I think there from around 1900. Not sure of the date.
20211130_093528.jpg
20211130_093457.jpg
20211130_093449.jpg
20211130_093430.jpg

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Rum, ginger beer, or whatever. I believe they're moderately older than 1900, but I'm guessing... If you find out when the "Imperial" unit of liquid measurement was adopted you will be in the ball park. The question becomes which? Say, didn't the Montreal Expos become the FL Marlins?

Last edited:

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Last night broke my email record. Forgive me. Obviously, with a better look, the "IMPERIAL" stamping was added much later to that pint. Now, you're ready to enter the hallmark hall of fame. I'm going to re-guess ("3 for a quarter.") early 1700s. Speaking of Hallmark, no ornaments at my CVS this year.
"Oh! the humanity!"...

Jstorm

Reaction score
Interesting stuff. Not what I collect, but what kind/area of ACLs are you looking
Than
Last night broke my email record. Forgive me. Obviously, with a better look, the "IMPERIAL" stamping was added much later to that pint. Now, you're ready to enter the hallmark hall of fame. I'm going to re-guess ("3 for a quarter.") early 1700s. Speaking of Hallmark, no ornaments at my CVS this year.
"Oh! the humanity!"...
Get the hell out.! There's other marks the guy that I bought it from told me they were like inspector Mark's. He also said there are other Mark's that showed who's mug this was in a particular tavern hangout. Don't know if all of that is true but that's the story I got. I will send pics of more Mark's . That was awesome that you found that information! Thanks much. Maybe more Mark's will unveil more!
20211201_202414.jpg
20211201_202235.jpg
20211201_202414.jpg
20211201_202235.jpg

Attachments

• 20211201_202157.jpg
    20211201_202157.jpg
    829.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 20211201_202143.jpg
    20211201_202143.jpg
    861.1 KB · Views: 113

Jstorm

Reaction score
Than

Get the hell out.! There's other marks the guy that I bought it from told me they were like inspector Mark's. He also said there are other Mark's that showed who's mug this was in a particular tavern hangout. Don't know if all of that is true but that's the story I got. I will send pics of more Mark's . That was awesome that you found that information! Thanks much. Maybe more Mark's will unveil more!View attachment 232483View attachment 232484View attachment 232483View attachment 232484
Sorry there's 2 small gill shots that I am showing you in the pics.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hey Jstorm,

I wouldn't doubt what the seller told you was truthful. There are a lot of stampings on these mugs. (I have the feeling many hands held them.) The English system usually serves up had two or three hall marks; maker, and city, were mandatory. Some English pubs have been around pretty much unchanged for a couple of centuries. Not hard to believe these mugs survived. We Americans generally acknowledge the early Native-Americans civilizations and their "stuff" but to the English mindset the mugs would be more commonplace. Dig in England and you are just as likely to find Roman, and Viking, "stuff". Once I was walking in the heart of downtown London, (c.1999.) There was a stone church with a long banner atop that read "Continuously Serving Mass For 1000 Years". OMG!

...Before forgetfulness sets in the word gill is stamped twice (different fonts.) If the pub's recertification was a national or regional experience a year may be forthcoming in your research. Remember, all the marks are clues :)

...Anyone, speaking of the word gill as a liquid measurement, the only reference in American media culture was in what tv cartoon series?;)

Jstorm

Reaction score
Hey Jstorm,

I wouldn't doubt what the seller told you was truthful. There are a lot of stampings on these mugs. (I have the feeling many hands held them.) The English system usually serves up had two or three hall marks; maker, and city, were mandatory. Some English pubs have been around pretty much unchanged for a couple of centuries. Not hard to believe these mugs survived. We Americans generally acknowledge the early Native-Americans civilizations and their "stuff" but to the English mindset the mugs would be more commonplace. Dig in England and you are just as likely to find Roman, and Viking, "stuff". Once I was walking in the heart of downtown London, (c.1999.) There was a stone church with a long banner atop that read "Continuously Serving Mass For 1000 Years". OMG!

...Before forgetfulness sets in the word gill is stamped twice (different fonts.) If the pub's recertification was a national or regional experience a year may be forthcoming in your research. Remember, all the marks are clues :)

...Anyone, speaking of the word gill as a liquid measurement, the only reference in American media culture was in what tv cartoon series?;)
I appreciate your time and knowledge on the mugs. I tried doing some research but got lost in all the hallmarks and gave up. I am always willing to learn and I just did. Thanks again it's much appreciated!

Reactions: Len

embe

Reaction score
I had similar thoughts on all the markings, there should be a way to figure out more detail on when/where they were made. They are pewter right? Trying to think (believe me it's harder than it sounds) if I've seen anything other than gold or silver with hallmarks before. Good luck in your research

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi