Rumming's - Nanaimo B.C.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
This is my John Mitchell-Rummings-Island Bottling collection. I know I am missing a Mitchell Hutchinson, a vertical embossed Rummings crown top, and an Island Bottling "ketchup" bottle (basically the Island version of the Rummings that Canadacan posted at the start). I heard a rumour that there is a "three-city" embossed out there too. I have never seen that one.
You've got some good ones there (especially that paper label!) I didn't know that the green glass with only white ACL even existed. I've heard references to that three-city one as well but never seen it and I'm not sure what era it's supposed to be from. What would the third city have been, Courtenay?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I have some Rummings bottles as well. I have the one you have on right but ACL so faded can hardly see (now i know how it should look.. lol. Goodwill and Island Bottling as well from Nanaimo.
Do you have a Goodwill that's marked from Nanaimo? I only know of them as being marked from Victoria, although I know they were active in Nanaimo.

tsims

Reaction score
This is my John Mitchell-Rummings-Island Bottling collection. I know I am missing a Mitchell Hutchinson, a vertical embossed Rummings crown top, and an Island Bottling "ketchup" bottle (basically the Island version of the Rummings that Canadacan posted at the start). I heard a rumour that there is a "three-city" embossed out there too. I have never seen that one.
I think I have the John Mitchell hutchinson bottle you mentioned. It's missing the wire closure but I see in the bottle magazine it says too few to determine price. It's not for sale of course but if you want to see a pic I can post it Gerry.

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
Your bottle collection looks amazing. I have a question, though. I have the opportunity to purchase a number of Nanaimo bottles in very good condition. The seller wants me to purchase them all in one deal but I have no idea what to offer him or, if he gives me a price, what is reasonable. He has one John Mitchell, one Adam & Lawrence, a green Rummings crown top which looks more modern but is embossed, and 5 Rummings pick and shovel (two green). My daughter just moved out to the island so I would like to get some bottles from close to where she lives for my collection. I recently purchased a pick and shovel Rummings and I think I got a good deal but there are crazy prices online so I don't know for sure. One auction site sold a clear Rummings bottle for $600 U.S. and another is on eBay right now for $250 U.S. I don't think the bottles are worth anywhere near that but I am fairly new at this. Can you assist me in any way?

Last edited:

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
I think I have the John Mitchell hutchinson bottle you mentioned. It's missing the wire closure but I see in the bottle magazine it says too few to determine price. It's not for sale of course but if you want to see a pic I can post it Gerry.
Just wondering what bottle magazine you are talking about as I am fairly new to the hobby and want to get as much information as I can.

Historical-Info-Service

Collector of BC Bottles and History, Historian
Reaction score
Your bottle collection looks amazing. I have a question, though. I have the opportunity to purchase a number of Nanaimo bottles in very good condition. The seller wants me to purchase them all in one deal but I have no idea what to offer him or, if he gives me a price, what is reasonable. He has one John Mitchell, one Adam & Lawrence, a green Rummings crown top which looks more modern but is embossed, and 5 Rummings pick and shovel (two green). My daughter just moved out to the island so I would like to get some bottles from close to where she lives for my collection. I recently purchased a pick and shovel Rummings and I think I got a good deal but there are crazy prices online so I don't know for sure. One auction site sold a clear Rummings bottle for $600 U.S. and another is on eBay right now for $250 U.S. I don't think the bottles are worth anywhere near that but I am fairly new at this. Can you assist me in any way?
Feel free to message me directly. I think I can give you a ballpark number for what you are looking at, but will need to see some pictures and know some specifics about the green Pick & Shovels, which Mitchell bottle, and which Adams and Lawrence (I do not have one of these, but have plenty of reference materials).

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Do you know which clear Rummings sold for $600? I didn't think many, if any, of the Rummings bottles were worth nearly that much apart from maybe some which were only rumoured to exist. That one on Ebay is definitely not worth anywhere near $250, one sold recently for $40 which is more reasonable. I bought mine for $20 a decade or so ago and I remember thinking that was a pretty good deal but not shockingly low.

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
Sure wish there was someone that was putting out some sort of recent price guide for Canadian bottles as going online as shown above gives so many different prices. I realize something is only worth what one will pay for it but having some sort of guide would certainly help people like me that are fairly new to the hobby. I would love to build a collection on bottles I found myself but my age and location make that rather difficult. So I am kind of stuck trying to build a collection of Canadian bottles solely through purchasing them. I have Bill Wilson's Pioneer Soda Water Co. but that is 1989 I believe. I also have Western Canadian Bottle Collecting, Vol. 1 and 2 but they are even older. I had a chance to get Bottles of the Canadian Praries but that is from 1978 and the author wants $200 for a copy, not something I can afford. Most bottle guides that are more recent are primarily American. I subscribe to Antique Bottle and Glass Collector which does have some Canadian content at times but hit and miss. This forum seems to be the best source of information that is reliable but I hate bothering people to ask values. In the past I have had some snarky remarks when I did that. I am not building this collection to make a profit. I love history in general and bottles and the stories behind them are very interesting to me.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Sure wish there was someone that was putting out some sort of recent price guide for Canadian bottles as going online as shown above gives so many different prices. I realize something is only worth what one will pay for it but having some sort of guide would certainly help people like me that are fairly new to the hobby. I would love to build a collection on bottles I found myself but my age and location make that rather difficult. So I am kind of stuck trying to build a collection of Canadian bottles solely through purchasing them. I have Bill Wilson's Pioneer Soda Water Co. but that is 1989 I believe. I also have Western Canadian Bottle Collecting, Vol. 1 and 2 but they are even older. I had a chance to get Bottles of the Canadian Praries but that is from 1978 and the author wants $200 for a copy, not something I can afford. Most bottle guides that are more recent are primarily American. I subscribe to Antique Bottle and Glass Collector which does have some Canadian content at times but hit and miss. This forum seems to be the best source of information that is reliable but I hate bothering people to ask values. In the past I have had some snarky remarks when I did that. I am not building this collection to make a profit. I love history in general and bottles and the stories behind them are very interesting to me.
I feel the same way about price guides...so often a bottle will sell for half or even less than what a guide will list it for and in some case way more..lol. Many of the top tier bottles are now selling for double or triple.
I think just being connected to like minded folks and asking is still the best way to go. I don't always have the answer to price on some particular bottles but have been able to help many collectors make informed decisions on purchases.
If you are on facebook I run a couple of pages... https://www.facebook.com/groups/2642082599145081 and https://www.facebook.com/groups/1254176704700613

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky