Run in with the railroad bulls.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Experienced diggers know it always best to dig in the Spring & Fall & Not the Summer, That way, no heat stroke, no mosquitoes, no bugs, no ticks, no snakes, no foliage, ect., ect. The only good thing about Summer is sometimes the foliage is good to hide from nosy Neighbors, Passer bys or Prying Eyes. LEON.

willong

Reaction score
All of you diggers out there, leave it better than it was originally. We can screw it up for other folks.
I've been finding blob beers and Hutchies, don't want to be chased away from that.

For your own future digging prospects along the railroad, it might be a good idea to pack a digital camera along and take before-and-after photos to prove your cleanup ethics in case you again encounter RR personnel.

I mostly enjoy watching YouTube videos by that Digger Tom guy in the UK. However, I've been put-off a bit after seeing how horrendously the diggers tore up one site in particular. It was an extensive dump accessed by random pits driven through an otherwise nice broad and grassy flat. If Tom back-filled his own excavations after the two digs he shot there, he certainly didn't feature the process in his videos.

Mudbug

Reaction score
It’s always been a problem down here of diggers leaving holes open, yards messed up enough to where the owner would never let any diggers back in.
in the 70’s to the mid 80’s was some of the best digging down here, contractors would even let us in to dig UNTIL the unscrupulous diggers would mess it up by leaving holes partially or fully open. Liabilities n all ya know.
You did the exact right thing by cleaning up the mesS and making the Pinkerton happy.
By the way, nice hutch find.

relic rescuer

Reaction score
I've been digging bottles along the right of way of the Union Pacific railroad.
Yesterday I was down in the hole, peacefully pursuing my trade when an inspector drove up in his railroad pickup truck.
After a brief exchange, he pointed out that some previous diggers had piled soil against the tracks. I did what any self respecting digger would do. I pleaded for mercy.
I promised to clean it all up, away from the tracks, raked and cleaning up the glass.
The upshot is that he didn't throw me out or call the police. For which I am grateful. I went back that evening and cleaned the entire area. He didn't say Yes, but he didn't say No.
Very important.
All of you diggers out there, leave it better than it was originally. We can screw it up for other folks.
I've been finding blob beers and Hutchies, don't want to be chased away from that.
You're pretty lucky, because being anywhere near the tracks is trespassing. Even walking down the tracks or the side of the track is trespassing, but people do it all the time. If he wanted to he could have had you arrested. Keep up the good work tho and BOL HH.

hemihampton

Reaction score
It’s always been a problem down here of diggers leaving holes open, yards messed up enough to where the owner would never let any diggers back in.
in the 70’s to the mid 80’s was some of the best digging down here, contractors would even let us in to dig UNTIL the unscrupulous diggers would mess it up by leaving holes partially or fully open. Liabilities n all ya know.
You did the exact right thing by cleaning up the mesS and making the Pinkerton happy.
By the way, nice hutch find.

I know a group of Diggers that leave big open Holes every where they dig. Not Cool but they seam to think it's fine.

planeguy2

Reaction score
When I hunt around the tracks the people are nice. That also may be because there is not dirt and trash on the tracks!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky