Rusted relics from Backyard

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
Hey all,
Some of you probably remember my post about the old well found under my house. So I was working in the garden yesterday and started pulling out more discards under the soil. Since a lot of you are very good at ID of objects here's a few photos of this hanger shaped metal piece with two eyelets on each end. What was this used for?

https://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k623/dabeel1/found005.jpg
https://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k623/dabeel1/found006.jpg
https://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k623/dabeel1/found004.jpg

Looks like I have more subsurface exploration to do in my neighborhood where the house lots date to the 1880's.
I did find a canning jar lid with a patent date of Sept 20th 1898 and fragments of a "Henry K. Wampole Philadelphia U.SA" hexagonal bottle

Thanks for your educated guesses/facts etc
Doug

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Doug,

Just puttin yer photos up, all visible like:

found005.jpg

found006.jpg

found004.jpg

0_joan_blondell_cheesecake_resized_350_a3990.jpg

Plumbata

Reaction score
I dunno about the item in question, but I do see the ladder from an old cast iron toy fire engine!

I wish I could work in a garden right now, but it is -3.5 degrees here. F'in frigid. [>:]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I saw this and didn't have an answer then. Actually I still don't.
I do have a couple Q's though. What's the little pearl looking thing next to the glass thing and what's the big white dot on the thing next to that?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
BTW, what does that glass have on it?
Professor Plum, I wonder about the ladder idea. I'm not sure about the rounded part on the left with more showing. I'm not arguing, just saying.

06892EBC4EEA447EABF775BD2E92B364.jpg

Attachments

• 06892EBC4EEA447EABF775BD2E92B364.jpg
    06892EBC4EEA447EABF775BD2E92B364.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 56

Plumbata

Reaction score
Professor plum? LOL! Not for another few decades, anyway. [:)] Seems like something CyberChuck would write. You better keep your distance; he has been known to steal rusty chainsaws, ya know [;)].

The item in question was made out of brittle, carbon-rich cast-Iron, or even unrefined pig-iron, so it is likely that the original extension/sidebar of the ladder broke after some rough handling by a child many decades ago. I would bet 100 bucks that it was not made the way it presently appears. If it wasn't broken, there is less of a likelihood that it would have been left to fester in the soil for longer than I could hope to be alive.

In regards to argument; I love arguing! that is the one true way to get into the minds of those you disagree with, and quite often it leads to increased knowledge and wisdom even if one's own views are proven unequivocally incorrect. It is good mental exercise; however proper form takes many many years [;)] (something I have yet to develop).

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Professor Plum, just in case you took that the wrong way I was referring you merely as being in the library with the wrong candlestick.
Or whatever?

cyberdigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Plumbata

]In regards to argument; I love arguing! that is the one true way to get into the minds of those you disagree with, and quite often it leads to increased knowledge and wisdom even if one's own views are proven unequivocally incorrect. It is good mental exercise; however proper form takes many many years (something I have yet to develop).

..you're getting good at it, Plummy... some intelligence services reckon you're on the verge of full capability!
With your permission, I'd like to quote you, next time my wife and I start a heated debate.. should be any moment now...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado