S.A. Read and Company?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saread

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was walking in the woods in southwestern Connecticut a few weeks ago and stumbled across this bottle. It's roughly the size of a business card, maybe 3/4 of an inch thick, and the inscription says "SA Read Company, 315 East Chicago Ave, NE Cor State St.". I googled "S.A. Read Company" and only found one link, which was to Certified List of Illinois Corporations of 1902 and which didn't tell me anything except this company had 2,500 of capital stock in 1902.

The streets are easy enough to find, but S.A. Read and his company appear to be long gone. The northeast corner of East Chicago Ave and State Street in Chicago is now a subway station and a McDonalds (https://www.google.com/maps/@41.896...4!1s_xPTdMjk3iW3uAMQKoqWHg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192). 315 East Chicago Ave itself (interestingly, several blocks east of State Street) is now home to the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.

Bottle was filled with dirt. There's a hole at one end, but it's a little hard to tell if something else was attached to it that has broken off or if the edges of the hole were just not machine-made.

That's as far as I got... Does anyone know what the SA Read Company made or what would have gone into this bottle? Hopefully you all are better sleuths than me!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 12.48.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 12.48.32 PM.png
    830.5 KB · Views: 76

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
You'll almost always find a little something interesting in those Conn. woods.:). --Welcome to our online bottle community.

hemihampton

Reaction score
The neck & top are broken off, that's why you have the hole. To me it looks like a Medicine or Pharmacy or Druggist Bottle. LEON.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Too bad about the neck! I agree with Leon, it's a local pharmacy bottle. There are thousands upon thousands of different ones out there, often with few examples remaining, so finding information on them can be quite challenging. I always like the ones with addresses that you can look up.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum