sad day in America

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: druggistnut

I'll guarantee you that it is not the kids involved in sports, band, student council, etc... that have the issues. The ones that hang out with "weird" kids, like the Goths, or by themselves, are the ones that need to be identified and interviewed by a professional, not a school counselor.
Bill, respectfully, I must disagree. One only need look back to Charles Whitman and the Texas tower shootings (Aug-1-1966). Whitman was (and as far as I know still IS) was the youngest at 12yrs of age to become an Eagle scout, was also at age 6 said to have an IQ of 172. I woundnt said youre wrong as I believe that a person involved in social events helps them grow. But again, we all know of the loners, people laugh at and make fun of...weve all seen it. I had a classmate in high school commit suicide just after graduation. Still, all these years later I ask myself why?
But, you cant judge the proverbial book by its cover. Whitman`s family was disfunctional with an abusive father and Mother who didnt divorce the father until later. Though one questions why neither of the siblings had any problems?. Whitman went on to try and get "help" but nothing was done. He went as far in the suicide notes to ask his brain and body be autopsied to find a cause and lo and behold a tumor.
Interestingly enough, he shot 43 people (after using a knife to kill his wife and Mother) with a common Remington M-700 in 6mm caliber. A BOLT ACTION......Everyone wants to hate the dreaded black guns. They like to shoot high cap mags because the guys use them for plinking and shooting at the ranges. Most dont like to load five shoot five. Some like to use them for hunting (varmints deer etc) with the 5rd mags. Sadly, there will always be events like this in history. The antis are all over this like rabid dogs to push an agenda. Iam all for reason and logic, not knee jerk reactions (Feinstein,Schumer and the list goes on).

This is going to divide this country even more, by those who figure big brother can protect them 24/7 and those who would rather do it themselves...Oh what a wonderful world in which we live. Compound this with all the stress of the world cominag apart at the seams and is there a wonder people are "losing it"?..

AlexD

Reaction score
This just proves how stupid some people are[:(] Some guy on the radio was saying that if teachers and principles would carry guns things like this wouldn't happen[:-][8D]

carobran

Reaction score
Alex - That person seems to have a bad case of common sense(gasp). I hope he gets treatment. He might spread it to others,and heaven help us if that happens,we might actually be able to turn this country around for the better.

On a more serious note,arming principles and teachers would not prevent all of these types of crimes,they'll happen no matter what law you put in place. However,its a proven fact that having armed citizens in a building often acts as a deterrent. Let me put it this way,you've got a choice to rob a house in Austin,Texas or Chicago. If you rob the house in Chicago,which has very strict gun regulations,you know theres a very good chance the occupants are going to be unarmed and defeneless,sure,they might try to take you out with a baseball bat. But they'd need to get within a 3 or 4 ft of you for that to be effective at all,and you can just shoot them from 10 ft away. However,you know that if you rob the house in Texas,where most people are armed,theres a good chance when you get to the other side of that door you'll be looking down the barrel of a gun,and it might just be the last sight you'll ever see. So,which one do you go after? Hmmm,thats a tough one....

If the priciple of that school had been armed,and trained in the use of that gun,chances are alot of those kids would be at home right now enjoying Christmas break,instead they're laying in a casket. Liberals keep saying we need to do everything in our power to save these kids lives,but they refuse to consider what would be one of, if not the most, effective measures.

Jim- There are several reasons I'm against a semi-automatic weapons ban,such as when you start drawing these lines where do they stop? If they ban semi-automatic rifles,and someone goes and does this again with a handgun,do you want to ban those too? Maybe you'd like us to go back to flintlocks? Also,Its clear that the Founding Fathers gave us the right to bear arms mainly to prevent against government tyranny,so it would make sense, that , in order for that to be effective, the people should be able to arm themselves at least somewhat as well as the government. I'm not saying give folks hand grenades and RPG's ,but a ban on semi-automatic rifles is absurd. And lastly,there are no telling how many semi-automatic rifles are in the hands of honest,law-abiding citizens. Do you propose the government confiscates them all? Thats unconstitutional,not to mention impossible.

Merry Christmas.

AlexD

Reaction score
Yes, you do have a very good point. But also these are Elementary school kids. I think having armed principles and teachers would be a little... dangerous? I wouldn't really want my kid going to school where guns are ANYWHERE (though the any kids I have are named Mittens and Miss Kitty[;)]) accept in the hands of law enforcement. A teacher can "snap" just like anyone else.

[&:]

AlexD

Reaction score
It's even more dangerous because in my state all you need to buy a gun is to be 18 or over. Nothing else, no permit, no anything to own a gun. You can take it hunting, anything. Just not carrying it around with you everywhere you go, to do that you do need a permit[>:]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It's the end of the world anyway so stop worrying.
It's also the end of this thread.
I'll leave it to read though. I do have additional thoughts but I'll keep them to myself.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp