San Antonio, Texas Area

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlepig

Reaction score
I'm new to bottles but not digging; I should have a doctorate in digging with the amount of dirt I've moved by shovel or backhoe over the years, mostly building foundations, plumbing, and graves at a cemetery. I love glass and its unique properties, bottles adding to the depth of interest with history, culture, design, geography etc. I see the collections here and am amazed and mesmerized.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Curious with your Foundation digging & other digging what kind of Bottes have you found? Post a pic of your best found Bottles. LEON.

bottlepig

Reaction score
Leone, thanks for your interest. All of my digging has been work related and not focused on bottles. My goal now is to dig for bottles, exclusively. My best find was 45 years ago, a broken straight sided coke bottle.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Your handle is great. You'll learn and have a little fun here. Welcome to the club. --CT Len
PS- Is it true you'll be bringing the backhoe to our digs? :D

nhpharm

Reaction score
There are some incredible bottles from San Antonio. Find a good early lot and dig some privies! This is one of my favorites.

Attachments

• san1.jpg
    san1.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 97

bottlepig

Reaction score
Len, I could definitely bring a backhoe along! nhpharm, great looking bottle!

Reactions: Len

webe992

Reaction score
I'd recommend looking at the Sanborn maps for San Antonio. I'm up near Austin so if you need a digging buddy i might be able to help.

bottlepig

Reaction score
webe992, Thanks for the tip. I've found some Sanborn maps on the Library of Congress website but the maps were centered on downtown. Is there another source for Sanborn maps? Hopefully, I'll make it to the Central Texas Bottle Show and meet you.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
webe992, Thanks for the tip. I've found some Sanborn maps on the Library of Congress website but the maps were centered on downtown. Is there another source for Sanborn maps? Hopefully, I'll make it to the Central Texas Bottle Show and meet you.
Lots of Sanborn maps on the University of Texas website: https://maps.lib.utexas.edu/maps/sanborn/s.html Not sure why the older ones don't seem to cover the whole city (it doesn't look like they stop at the limits of the built-up areas), unfortunately I would assume that those are all that exists for that year.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu