San Diego and Riverside County, CA collections

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Hi there,

In the early 60s as a teenager I was fortunate enough to be able to dig the San Diego city's late 19th century dump along Home and Federal Avenues,. Most of the collection are blown in mold, applied lip bottles with a few early semi-automatics. I was rabid. I also dug a bit at the late 19th century Hemet city dump in Riverside County. I lived in east San Diego County, and using county maps from the 19th century dug old ranch dumps, walked along old wagon roads, a Butterfield Stage station dump, and walked along the San Diego and Arizona Eastern railroad looking for the original construction camps. I was rabid. The San Diego Antique Bottle Club had many members, and my mother took me to the meetings. I did a lot of research on various bottles, and will post some individuals with histories in the future.

I've included a few images of the collection at my home in Albuquerque. The one iron pontil 18th century whiskey? I got in Virginia. The Sweetwater Springs "Original California Mineral Water Company" water bottle has a storied past. A guy called Isham decided that to sell the spring water from Sweetwater Springs back east, he lied and said that it was visited by Jesus during his 40 days and nights sojourn. Karma got him though, and a whole train car headed back east froze and all the bottles broke! He went broke as well. I found this one in Chariot Canyon near Julian, California on an old gold mine tailing.

More soon,

Steve Shackley

Attachments

• alcohol020222.jpg
    alcohol020222.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 169
  • cometics020222.jpg
    cometics020222.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Food020222.jpg
    Food020222.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 174
  • Masons020222.jpg
    Masons020222.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Phamabottles020222.jpg
    Phamabottles020222.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 160
  • SDbeerandSWsprgs020222.jpg
    SDbeerandSWsprgs020222.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 161

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hi there,

In the early 60s as a teenager I was fortunate enough to be able to dig the San Diego city's late 19th century dump along Home and Federal Avenues,. Most of the collection are blown in mold, applied lip bottles with a few early semi-automatics. I was rabid. I also dug a bit at the late 19th century Hemet city dump in Riverside County. I lived in east San Diego County, and using county maps from the 19th century dug old ranch dumps, walked along old wagon roads, a Butterfield Stage station dump, and walked along the San Diego and Arizona Eastern railroad looking for the original construction camps. I was rabid. The San Diego Antique Bottle Club had many members, and my mother took me to the meetings. I did a lot of research on various bottles, and will post some individuals with histories in the future.

I've included a few images of the collection at my home in Albuquerque. The one iron pontil 18th century whiskey? I got in Virginia. The Sweetwater Springs "Original California Mineral Water Company" water bottle has a storied past. A guy called Isham decided that to sell the spring water from Sweetwater Springs back east, he lied and said that it was visited by Jesus during his 40 days and nights sojourn. Karma got him though, and a whole train car headed back east froze and all the bottles broke! He went broke as well. I found this one in Chariot Canyon near Julian, California on an old gold mine tailing.

More soon,

Steve Shackley
Steve, Outstanding Effort. We're going to give you the football at least 20x per game. :) Way to save our history too!:cool: Welcome to our community!

Reactions: Roy
Reaction score
Steve, Outstanding Effort. We're going to give you the football at least 20x per game. :) Way to save our history too!:cool: Welcome to our community!
Thanks Len. It's been a long time since I thought of riding my bike out to those remote old ranch houses. Geez, I was young.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Yup, all the parts were clicking back in the day. Now not soo much...I haven't been to SD since '64. Loved Jack In The Box:p, the old Mission, Pendleton, and made it to "the desert" only once. No bottle luck that time. Are the recent fires revealing any sites? Good to see SD with a decent NFL team.

Reaction score
I retired to Albuquerque eight years ago. My daughter and family still live there. Less crowded here. There was an avid bottle collecting group here back in the day too, but not so much now.

Reactions: Len

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Just be safe if you get the urge. I believe a good number of us operate traditionally solo anyways.:cool: Got a question on a bot while going over your collection or just want to chip shot in some info, you've got the Antique Bottle Community!:)

Csa

Reaction score
Yup, all the parts were clicking back in the day. Now not soo much...I haven't been to SD since '64. Loved Jack In The Box:p, the old Mission, Pendleton, and made it to "the desert" only once. No bottle luck that time. Are the recent fires revealing any sites? Good to see SD with a decent NFL team.
Great memories of an earlier era in CA for you! And you got some awesome bottles as a constant reminder. Wish I could have been in on a 19th century site back in the day.

Reactions: Len

K6TIM

Reaction score
Hi there,

More soon,

Steve Shackley
Hi I'm from San Diego.I enjoyed your photo's of the embossed San Diego bottles.I have a 1950's coke from there.I now live in New Mexico.
Tim

Reaction score
Hi I'm from San Diego.I enjoyed your photo's of the embossed San Diego bottles.I have a 1950's coke from there.I now live in New Mexico.
Tim
Cool. I grew up in Jamacha, which is now called Rancho San Diego, but then was just Monte Vista Ranch and a trailer park.

Steve

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown