Saturday dump digging. The Owls were in season again.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Macaco

Reaction score
RED Matthews said:
Hello Macaco. I took notice of the Warners tablet bottle and the threaded top. I have some bottles with internal hand tooled threaded finishes. I have one that I think was an external hand tooled thread. So my thought was to question you regarding this bottles thread. The question is, Are there vertical seams on it - or linear tool marks from a hand tooled thread. If it is hand tooled I would like to borrow it or at least get some good pictures of the finish. Have you been to my home page? RED Matthews email &lt bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>

Hi Clarence, It's a pretty common bottle I believe. I will attempt to take some better pics of it for you. I need to soak it for a while to see if the lid will loosen enough to unscrew.

Macaco

Reaction score
2find4me said:
Once again, another great dig! The number of Owls you find is amazing! Are they all coming from the same dump?You are right about the smelling salt, the dark teal color, stopper, and small size usually gives it away. The Brass Lantern is an interesting find. The Chinese Soy Sauce is a cool find, it is a wonder it wasn't broken. The French Hospital is a good one. .....................
Hi Sharon, Thank you for the research.

Macaco

Reaction score
cannibalfromhannibal said:
Wow , you are in a gold mine! I miss digging the Chinese stuff. I was going to mention I had found a clear whiskey top owl under a house that had a partial label stating "olive oil" but washed it off thinking it was in such bad shape it detracted from the bottle and had no value. That is until I tried to convince a collector at the local bottle show it was olive oil, to which he replied, "Well MINE is a WHISKEY!" I could understand his firmness on his stance when I noted the price of $350, and that was 20 years ago! I wish I still had it but wasn't keen on an olive oil bottle even if it was an owl, so I traded for a Microbe Killer skelly bottle and thought I got the better end of the deal. Still think so, but that's just me and olive oyle! Ha! Good article on the owls, purporting the different products, including the cursed olive oil. Jack
Hello Jack, We are finding some decent stuff. Of course I don't post pictures of the days when we don't find much or just get some slicks.I am disappointed that you washed off the olive oil label! I would have liked to have seen a picture of it. Next time.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Nice group of finds sir. Love the wellman & peck and the bitters as well. The jug is awesome too. How can you sleep at night knowing there are still bottles to be dug out of that dump. I would go nuts! Thanks for sharing and the photos are great

Macaco

Reaction score
Bass Assassin said:
Nice group of finds sir. Love the wellman & peck and the bitters as well. The jug is awesome too. How can you sleep at night knowing there are still bottles to be dug out of that dump. I would go nuts! Thanks for sharing and the photos are great
Hi Mark,Thank you sir. The sheer variety of what is in the dump makes it really interesting.

Lordbud

Reaction score
Digger Scott dug a few good ones. This one is excellent. Square base. A little haze but otherwise perfect. 'French Hospital' was a San Francisco hospital founded in 1851. From the research I did it existed through at least the mid-1970's. Has anyone ever seen one of these bottles or something similar? Any idea what an approximate value could be?, The SF druggist/pharmacy bottles have been doing pretty well on ebay the past couple of months. I don't recall ever seeing one of these French Hospital bottles. To me it would be a Keeper.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky