Schweppes Bitter Orange acl soda bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
bored so looked thru some online sales listing , didn't see much at all interesting but did come across a picture of an odd Schweppes bottle for a flavour I hadn't heard of before "bitter orange " which appears to be more popular in the UK maybe ?

but the seller is from Canada and all the other bottles were from there , it also looks very similar to a Schweppes - Bitter lemon bottle I found swimming a few years ago

on the back of it says " Schweppes ( overseas ltd ) London England imported from Schweppes London England but it was being sold in Canada as I found it here

schweppes-bitterorange.jpg

schweppesbitterlemon.JPGschweppesbitterlemon1.JPG

Donas12

Reaction score
That Bitter Orange is an interesting one. Have a number of Schweppes bottles but not that one and have never seen it before.

RCO

Reaction score
That Bitter Orange is an interesting one. Have a number of Schweppes bottles but not that one and have never seen it before.

it seems the Bitter Orange flavour was popular in the UK , when I looked online that seems to be where its from

although the bottle appears to have been used outside the UK but picture online doesn't show back

also can't find that bitter lemon bottle , think it might be in the garage in a box ? but not sure , wanted to check some of the markings on it as to where it was made , according to picture I found it swimming in 2014

also found a green Schweppes ginger ale bottle that year and a tonic water bottle in 2016 but don't come across older Schweppes bottles that often , seem to find more of there cans lately , never seen bitter orange in a can either

RCO

Reaction score
checked the garage and found the bitter lemon bottle and 2 other Schweppes bottles I had acquired in random assortments of bottles I had bought several years ago

one is a tall 300 ml ginger ale bottle with paper label , other a clear club soda bottle with " Schweppes " embossed on edge . bottom has a consumers glass mark and date of 1955 . but label isn't in great condition

the bitter lemon bottle is in poor shape but found some useful info on it , is a mark on bottom says " 1963 " and has a dominion glass mark , meaning bottle was made in Canada , its also a very small bottle only 6 oz and shorter than other soda's , so bitter orange could be from same time period

DSC03629.JPG
DSC03629.JPG
DSC03632.JPG
DSC03632.JPG
DSC03633.JPG
DSC03633.JPG
DSC03634.JPG
DSC03634.JPG
DSC03636.JPG

RCO

Reaction score
another Schweppes bottle I have is a 10 oz clear no deposit from Canada .

embossed on back " bottled under authority of Schweppes ( Canada ) ltd Montreal Canada , from essence imported from Schweppes London England "

seems to be a less common no deposit , rarely seen anything similar , I got it in a mixed assortment a couple years ago , must also be a green one as clear would be for tonic water and club soda not ginger ale

schweppesND.JPG
schweppesND.JPG
DSC03639.JPG
DSC03644.JPG

Donas12

Reaction score
Here’s my 6 oz and 10 oz versions of the Bitter lemon. The 6oz is stamped by Consumers Glass and the 10 oz is Dominion Glass. So definitely Canadian.
Note the 6 oz has an embossed “Schweppes” on the bottom face of the bottle both front and back.833BA43B-310E-43BD-8849-E96BBD56D61E.jpegAA171689-0712-46E2-8FFB-E3352121372B.jpeg

Canadacan

Reaction score
I have the 10oz Bitter Orange with crown dated 1967 and the 10oz Bitter Lemon dated 1964, both from Dominion glass Canada.

RCO

Reaction score
I have the 10oz Bitter Orange with crown dated 1967 and the 10oz Bitter Lemon dated 1964, both from Dominion glass Canada.

the bottles are confusing cause they say imported by Schweppes London England but were definitely being made and bottled in Canada as dominion glass only being used in Canada

is there a can for bitter orange ? I couldn't find anything online other than some from Europe ?

RCO

Reaction score
Here’s my 6 oz and 10 oz versions of the Bitter lemon. The 6oz is stamped by Consumers Glass and the 10 oz is Dominion Glass. So definitely Canadian.
Note the 6 oz has an embossed “Schweppes” on the bottom face of the bottle both front and back.View attachment 220597View attachment 220598

a lot of there older clear bottles have Schweppes embossed on the bottom edge

Schweppes isn't a brand I typically look out for , found some swimming before and in mixed assortments but not bought any specifically , but will keep an eye out for any of the more unique flavours

Canadacan

Reaction score
the bottles are confusing cause they say imported by Schweppes London England but were definitely being made and bottled in Canada as dominion glass only being used in Canada

is there a can for bitter orange ? I couldn't find anything online other than some from Europe ?
I have the Bitter lemon can, I'm sure they caned the orange flavor but I don't have it, that'd be a tough can to find.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi