Searching cellarholes.........

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

woody

Reaction score
I was poking around a cellarhole yesterday and found a broken, pontiled "Shaker Cherry Pectoral Syrup #1 Canterbury N.H."
Most of the fragments of glass I'm finding are melted, which leads me to believe that whatever home was there burned to the ground, which was common in the days of wood stoves to heat your home.
I haven't been able to locate a dump for this cellarhole, although I haven't exhausted all my resources, yet.
I going to try another cellarhole this afternoon, that I found yesterday. I did find shards of porcelain, although I didn't have my metal detector which I will be bringing with me today.
Maybe I'll find something with the metal detector as this foundation is off the beaten path.

batfish

Reaction score
Oldtimer,

Where are you in the great granite state? Seems to be more than a few of us NH'erites on this board!

flagga

Reaction score
Hi Guys Flagga Here in Rye NH.

Have had a few good finds in the last couple of weeks, when I get the digital camera again this weekend I will post them. If you guys are ever up this way give me an E-Mail
love to go digging.

Flagga

woody

Reaction score
Not much today, everything was either broken or melted glass.
I did find a broken Sheaf of Wheat flask that was broken and melted. :(
Lots of stoneware, also.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Batfish, I am in Effingham NH, right next to Ossipee. I too noticed a lot of diggers here from NH!

Your profile says you are in Litchfield...I worked for "Bradley Tree Service" out of Litchfield.........Yes, the guy who had Jamaican slaves and is up on like 30 federal charges. I worked for him for 3 months, and learned all the roads there in Manchester / Litchfield / Hudson / Nashua.

LOTSA old bottle sites down there I am certain.

batfish

Reaction score
Oh man... what the out of towners must be thinking! Yes, this couple from my town was actually convicted of slavery, believe it or not. Here's the story:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2003/09/07/two_workers_hail_slavery_verdicts/

Yes, Oldtimer, there are lots of potential sites around here. I'm just getting started, though, having found my first dump (by accident - while fishing!). Mostly 20s and 30s stuff, but I've found a few older bottles that keep me coming back!

I don't think I've ever been to Effingham! Great area, though. I spend a lot of time in Tamworth and Sandwich (you know if all of those cellar holes off Sandwich Notch Road have been prospected? ;). I'm a fishing nut and like to hike way out to some of the backcountry tarns and cast for native brookies.

Anyway, nice to meet 'ya! Sorry to hijack your thread, Woody!

Oldtimer

Reaction score
The ones you can see from a car are dug. Trust me, they have been dug ten times.
Privys are where it's at now.

ORIGINAL: batfish
I spend a lot of time in Tamworth and Sandwich (you know if all of those cellar holes off Sandwich Notch Road have been prospected? ;). I'm a fishing nut and like to hike way out to some of the backcountry tarns and cast for native brookies.

Anyway, nice to meet 'ya! Sorry to hijack your thread, Woody!

batfish

Reaction score
The ones you can see from a car are dug. Trust me, they have been dug ten times.

And there are no trout in Black Mountain Pond. Trust me, all fished out [;)]

(just kidding - I believe you!)

mysecrets88

Reaction score
Hello,
I have only been doing the privy thang for a little while here in MA., but I must tell you, there are still alot of privys left untouched. I have been doing research for the older sites and when I have found the cellar holes, the privys have been easy to find and they are just waiting for me to see what is there. Tiiiiimmmmme is not on my side. I have started one and I have come across about 8 more, and can you believe they are all virgins. They are nestled in the woods and most people ignore them, you can always dig a dump where you find the old broken bottles, they are just about every where around the old cellar hole walls. I cannot believe how many bottles have met an awful fate from the youthful throws of a rock. As you search the cellar holes look for the old pottery shards as these can usually date the dump you are diggin. I find most of my privys thru metal detecting as this is my passion but bottles will soon take center stage as the sites stop reaping the silver

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu