Searching New Spots in Bergen County, NJ

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
might be considered taboo to explicitly discuss dump locations, but life is short and hidden bottles are many..... I'm interested in searching for dumps in the North NJ area mainly Bergen/Hudson/Passaic. those who live around here know woods and empty space are very few and far between.... I been map surfing and here's a couple thoughts. any input welcome:

1. teaneck
- argonne park: 50+/- undeveloped acres of land, former farmland area. swampy and feeds into overpeck creek.
2. emerson woods (off old hook rd. oradell reservoir)
- never been but google maps shows pretty undeveloped.
3. demarest swim club woods
- google maps shows nice patch of woods with a brook behind and railroad tracks in front.
4. norwood railroad tracks (same rails as #3 about 2 miles north)
- south of the impact zone fitness gym and north of the lupardi's nursery. looks like good 1/2 mile stretch of woods adjacent to railroad tracks.

willong

Reaction score
might be considered taboo to explicitly discuss dump locations, but life is short and hidden bottles are many..... I'm interested in searching for dumps in the North NJ area mainly Bergen/Hudson/Passaic. those who live around here know woods and empty space are very few and far between.... I been map surfing and here's a couple thoughts. any input welcome:

1. teaneck
- argonne park: 50+/- undeveloped acres of land, former farmland area. swampy and feeds into overpeck creek.
- google maps shows nice patch of woods with a brook behind and railroad tracks in front.
- south of the impact zone fitness gym and north of the lupardi's nursery. looks like good 1/2 mile stretch of woods adjacent to railroad tracks.
Welcome to the site!

I'm located on the other side of the continent, so don't have any input for your specific site prospects.

However, I do love "map surfing" myself! I recommend you take a look at Google Earth Pro, which was a free download (not just a trial version either) the last time I checked. The program has some nice features beyond what you'll find in Google Maps.

Let me know if you make much use of USGS topographical maps. If you do, I'll link you a great third-party app that works within Adobe Acrobat.

If there are any webpages dedicated to local history in your area, run a searches on terms like dump, landfill, sanitary landfill, reclamation (filling swampy areas) and such. I stumbled upon an early 20th century article on such a website out here that listed the location of several "sanitary landfills" in the greater Seattle area around 1910.

Will

PS: I just now sent you an 1888 edition USGS map of Paterson, NJ area--you might find it helpful. Look for "Conversations" button top right of screen. It's an icon that looks like an envelope. The map itself is PDF file, will open in Abobe Acrobat, where you can pan and scroll the image at any selected magnification (zoom).

Reaction score
many thanks for the map and info! if i come across something nice, Ill send a bottle your way.

butchndad

Reaction score

1. teaneck
hello FTH
i'm in Jersey City. Have been meaning to search for old dump sites in JC but haven't yet. Would love to go on a joint hunt some time. RobbyBobby is, i think, our resident Bergen County expert

Reaction score
i'm sure jersey city has tons of undiscovered bottles laying around.. question is where lol? probably the type of place you have to get construction site permissions and privy dig... looking at the map, i can't see much green space that would have potential for a discard dump to be hidden. sure hope i'm wrong lol. caven point extending on the hudson from liberty gulf course looks like it could be a mudlarking spot. who knows? lol @ROBBYBOBBY64 .... i'm up by the GWB and have one or two potential spots further up on the Palisades I been meaning to dig. found lots of surface glass shards 1920s and earlier but haven't done any serious digging... u welcome to join anytime

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
i'm sure jersey city has tons of undiscovered bottles laying around.. question is where lol? probably the type of place you have to get construction site permissions and privy dig... looking at the map, i can't see much green space that would have potential for a discard dump to be hidden. sure hope i'm wrong lol. caven point extending on the hudson from liberty gulf course looks like it could be a mudlarking spot. who knows? lol @ROBBYBOBBY64 .... i'm up by the GWB and have one or two potential spots further up on the Palisades I been meaning to dig. found lots of surface glass shards 1920s and earlier but haven't done any serious digging... u welcome to join anytime
I worked in construction for 33 years. I've seen it all. Best was Edgewater. Piles of bottle dirt. Now 56 townhouse units.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

butchndad

Reaction score
my best find is Jersey City so far was the site of a torn down funeral home which had been there for more than 100 years. Before that it was some kind of bottler. Found two different names on bottles (and a ton of pieces) with that exact address as well as a couple of other Jersey City bottles.

bottle_digger_em

Reaction score

1. teaneck
Hello, are you looking for a bottle digging partner? I’m located in this area and have been looking for someone to show me the ropes as I’m new

XRdsRev

Reaction score
Dug in Jersey City for years. Harsimus Cove was a great early dump location for about 3 years (now inaccessible). Dug some nice privies in older parts of the town but they were few and far between. Lots of empty (cleaned) holes.

Newark was easier to dig and usually had better bottles. There is one great soda from Jersey City but it is very, very hard to find (see pic).

Attachments

• 224676BE-B362-4867-AFB2-585EB497C61C.jpeg
    224676BE-B362-4867-AFB2-585EB497C61C.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 51

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora