Seeking Info~Array of Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

trishp

Reaction score
Greetings~
I'm not a collector, but hoping to find out if any of these bottles might be of interest to one, or should I recycle? Thank you ;-)
From L to R:
-P O & Co.
-Trademark BB John Matt... Pat 1860...
-Corcoran & Reddy Jersey City
-Lea & Perrins J D 3
-J. Walker's V B
-no marks
-no marks, bottom has a raised hump inside

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 184

embe

Reaction score
Sure they're interesting. I wouldn't recycle them.

DavidW

Reaction score
They all appear to be HAND BLOWN bottles!! Definitely old, PLEASE - do not recycle!!! Most are 1880s or 1890s period. The one on the left is probably a Parke Davis & Company medicine / laboratory / chemical bottle (I think that is actually supposed to be "P D & CO" on the base). So the second one from the right (aqua chemical bottle) has NO markings on the base, right??

hemihampton

Reaction score
they all appear old, pre 1900 & all worth keeping in my opinion. I especially like the 2nd & 3rd Bottles. Keep them or sell them but don't Recycle. LEON.

trishp

Reaction score
They all appear to be HAND BLOWN bottles!! Definitely old, PLEASE - do not recycle!!! Most are 1880s or 1890s period. The one on the left is probably a Parke Davis & Company medicine / laboratory / chemical bottle (I think that is actually supposed to be "P D & CO" on the base). So the second one from the right (aqua chemical bottle) has NO markings on the base, right??
Hi There:
The 2nd one from the right does not appear to have any marks I can see.

trishp

Reaction score
they all appear old, pre 1900 & all worth keeping in my opinion. I especially like the 2nd & 3rd Bottles. Keep them or sell them but don't Recycle. LEON.
Thanks Leon. Any suggestions on establishing worth??

Skoda

Reaction score
Hi there!

As DavidW pointed out, the base embossing on the one on the left is most likely Park Davis & Co. Nice color!

The one next to that is embossed on the base John Matthews Pat. Oct 11 1864 or something similar, I would imagine? That would indicate the bottle used a Gravitating Stopper closure, which was an internal stopper utilizing a glass rod with a rubber nipple to form the seal. It was used and was fairly popular from the mid-1860's up until the late 1880's. I couldn't find any information on that trademark but the bottle lip and neck is highly unusual for a gravitating stopper if it is in fact embossed with that patent on the base.

The bottle next to that one could also be a Gravitational Stopper soda bottle (seems to be noted as such on sodasandbeers.com) but very well could have used a Hutchinson closure as well, which supplanted the former in popularity in the 1880's. The Lea & Perrins bottle contained Worcestershire sauce and the company is still producing it to this day.

"J Walker's VB" stands for "Vinegar Bitters"; here's an excellent article on it's history: https://www.peachridgeglass.com/201...bottled-in-pastel-shades-to-conceal-the-mess/

As for the two unmarked bottles on the right, the aqua one could have contained any sort of medical or chemical contents- quack medicine, pharmaceutical compounds, disinfectants, etc. The green one on the far right certainly contained wine. Hope this helps!

trishp

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this wealth of information!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora