SEEKING ROUTE 66 COCA COLA HOBBLESKIRT'S

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

grime5

Reaction score
i got a pretty good colection for an old ex-truck driver.i think i have around 1280 different towns so far.still need about 105 d-patents to have them all.but im slowly working on them. later greg

jvharp

Reaction score
Bob, I looked through my coke bottles and the only one I found that you had listed was a St.Louis. It's in pretty rough shape so you may not be interested in it. I thought for sure one of them was a Joplin Mo. bottle but alas, no such luck.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
jvharp ~

Thank you for trying. The St. Louis bottle would be a good one to have. But the "pretty rough shape" part of your reply required me to put a little sad-face and question mark on my list next to St. Louis. [:(] ?

Please let me know if you come up with anything else. I'm really looking for happy-face bottles with exclamation marks next to them like this ... [:D] !!!

Speaking of St. Louis and Joplin, Missouri ... Here are the original lyrics by Bobby Troup in 1946, and first recorded by Nat King Cole the same year.

"(Get Your Kicks On) Route 66"

Well if you ever plan to motor west
Just take my way that's the highway that's the best
Get your kicks on Route 66

Well it winds from Chicago to L.A.
More than 2000 miles all the way

Well goes from St. Louie down to Missouri
Oklahoma city looks oh so pretty
You'll see Amarillo and Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernadino

Would you get hip to this kindly tip
And go take that California trip

Well goes from St. Louie down to Missouri
Oklahoma city looks oh so pretty
You'll see Amarillo and Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernadino

Would you get hip to this kindly tip
And go take that California trip
Get your kicks on Route 66[/align]

sw arkansas

Reaction score
greg hi i am looking for arkansas 1915 and 1923 hobbleskirts as well as other arkansas bottles. brian in arkansas

wreckedangles

Reaction score
I have one still filled with the Tucumcari, NM on the bottom. It's authentic as I collected many of my antique bottles as a teen in eastern Montana back in the 1980s sometimes finding them in old abandoned farm homes or empty bottles in make-shift farmer's garbage dumps.

This particular bottle has been bubble wrapped and packed in a box in storage for over 15 years so I'm not sure but I may have more from the cities you are looking for. Attached are images from the Tucumcari bottle, nearly pristine with very minor glass hobble damage from returning bottles.

I also have a filled one from;
Willmar, Minn., (PAT D-105529 6oz with much more abrasion damage to the glass,)
Peru, IL (also PAT D, 6oz bottle with similar damage.)
Garden City KS (same PAT D and abrasion as others)
and a few other filled ones without city names on the bottom. I also have a newer filled one with the white logo painted on (with Coke on the opposite side) so I have many that span the ages.

I also have a pristine (probably never returned bottle) Christmas Coca-Cola bottle, Dec. 1923 version made from 1928-1938, unfilled but with Coke resin in the bottom. It's not a 1989 repro as this was found in a dump sometime in 1984 or so. I know those Christmas Coke bottles can be common but this one is in prime shape. I also have a few steel cans which to me are more fragile if they were left outside. I have a few that range from Excellent condition with the bottlers (like Billings, MT) on the bottom to poor condition sun-faded and surface rust.

I am much more attached to my filled bottles in my collection but I am trying to organize and sell some of them off and came across your post.
Below are my shots of the Tucumcari, NM bottle. It would be hard to part with this bottle but see if it interests you.

DSC_2877.jpg

DSC_2875.jpg

DSC_2874.jpg

DSC_2873.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
wreckedangles ~

Welcome to the forum. And thanks for sharing.

I am interested in your Tucumcari bottle, but can't quite make out if it is a 6 oz or a 6 1/2 oz? I would also be interested in the issue date, which should be a two digit number on the side where it curves in. Once I know which of the two sizes it is, we can discuss value.

Morb ~

There are Barstow bottles. The 1915 and 1923 bottles are unknown to exist at present, with the D-Patent being Rare+ and the 6 and 6 1/2 oz's being more common. Barstow is where that guy has all of the old signs. Barstow also has a great Route 66 Museum located in the old train depot. I have been there many times.

SPBOB

Old Signs - Barstow, California.

A5AA7F15B55D4B6DAF5F494C0CAFECF0.jpg

Attachments

• A5AA7F15B55D4B6DAF5F494C0CAFECF0.jpg
    A5AA7F15B55D4B6DAF5F494C0CAFECF0.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 76

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
In case anyone is interested in knowing the dates when certain Coca Cola bottlers first opened in your particular state, the link below should be able to answer that question. I am not sure how accurate it is, but as it is from gono.com I assume they did their homework on it. This is where I found a 1931 date for when Barstow, California opened, and would explain why there are no 1915 and 1923 bottles from there.

SPBOB

The first started operation date is the 3rd column from the left where it says "date."

Link: http://gono.com/museum2003/hobbleskirts/hobbleskirts.htm

wreckedangles

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB ~

This is a 6 1/2 oz bottle making it a little newer.
The date code is 60-54 under the logo and then reads;
TRADE MARK REGISTERED
IN U.S. PATENT OFFICE

The opposite side of the date code reads;
TRADE MARK REGISTERED
CONTENTS 6 1/2 FL OZS

wreckedangles

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
wreckedangles ~

Thanks for the info.

The Tucumcari, New Mexico 6 1/2 oz bottles (1954) are considered common. Although somewhat hard to come by in some areas of the country, they would still value at about $10.00. And with appx. $10.00 added for shipping would bring it to $20.00. And as an example and future reference, if it were one of the following in near-mint condition, it would value accordingly ... (appx).

1915 ............. Unknown to exist at present.
1923 ............. $50.00 - $65.00
D-Pat ........... $20.00 - $30.00
6 & 6 1/2 oz .. $10.00 - $15.00

I am not sure if your intent is to sell it, but speaking for myself, and based on the fact it is a 6 1/2 oz bottle and not an earlier one, I personally will pass on it at the moment. But perhaps others who see this may be interested in contacting you about it.

Ideally my interest are with the 1923 bottles in near-mint condition. The reason for this is due to the fact that Route 66 was established in 1926 and would place the 1923 bottles as some of the first to be sold along the old route. I also collect other Route 66 related items like postcards - felt pennants - toy souvenirs, etc. Probably the most valuable item in my collection is a set of hand-made wooden salt & pepper shakers that came from the long ago closed Painted Desert Lodge/Store/Gas Station. They were made and hand-painted by the local Native American's (most likely Navaho) and are valued at about $150.00. I took them to the Painted Desert National Monument museum a few years ago and the curator there wanted them really bad. They date from sometime in the late 1940s.

Thanks again for your interest. And best wishes with the sale of your most interesting bottle.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94