Several bottles need ID, lumping them all in one thread

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

moodorf

Reaction score
I'm not going to clog up this nice forum with my ID requests, so I'll keep them confined to this thread if that's alright with you guys. Some of these might not be strictly bottles, and I'm putting this into the AFTER 1900 forum since I'm thinking many of them will be. But who knows.

This first one's a large amber bottle with a bottom that reads "C&COLIM" with the number 13 below it. Doesn't seem to be a makers mark or any other identifiers on it. It does have the occasional air bubble in it. The coin in these photos is a quarter, fyi.

Resized_20220424_220309.jpeg

Resized_20220424_220405.jpeg

Second one today is a clear sort of....ribbed? bottle. There seems to be a space where a label would be, but there's no indication there was ever a label on it, no residue. There are these little glass dots that encircle it around where the base meets the neck. There are air bubbles in this one as well. I couldn't get a good picture of the bottom as it is hard to read, but it says "Patented April 9 1898" and there is a simple "2" in the center of the bottom.

Resized_20220424_220522.jpeg

Last one seems to be a condiment/food bottle. Has some bubbles. Bottom reads "H J HEINZ CO" and "PITTSBURGH USA" and "PATD June 9 1891" but nothing else can be made out. It also has a circle with a couple wavy lines in it, but it could just be a suction scar. I want to say it's from the 1890's-1910's but I don't even know what type of food it had in it.

Resized_20220424_233606.jpeg
Resized_20220424_233714.jpeg

If you've read this far, awesome. If you can help, even more awesome :)

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The first one is an 1890s-ish beer. I'm not sure what C & Co LIM is, I'm guessing LIM is short for limited, but I've never seen that abbreviation used before. Unless LIM is an abbreviation for some American city that's currently slipping my mind.
The second is an early 20th century ketchup, probably dating to around 1898-1920. These were sealed with a cork with a thin metal cap that screwed on overtop of it.
The Heinz jar probably had horseradish or capers or some similar product in it. Heinz made similar things back then to what it makes now. I'd date it to around 1905-1930.

moodorf

Reaction score
Here's some more for you guys. First is a brown flask style liquor bottle, with "Federal law prohibits sale or re-use of this bottle" on the top. It's my understanding that this embossing was required on all liquor bottles sold in the U.S. between 1935 and 1964, so that kind of narrows it down. The bottom is a little more vague. Namely, this one strange marking to the right of the code R344 5754. There's also an eight to the left of the coding.
Resized_20220425_175546.jpeg

Resized_20220425_175524.jpeg

Second one is a smaller bottle. One of the seams stops at the base of the neck, while the other goes a few centimeters up it before stopping before the lip. The bottom reads is hard to make out but it says "W. T. CO" with "1013" and "A" below it.

Resized_20220425_182205.jpeg
Resized_20220425_182234.jpeg

hemihampton

Reaction score
The C&Co LIM is commonly found on alot of my Michigan Hutch's but not many of that on my Beers. LEON.

moodorf

Reaction score
Had some good luck dump digging today. Found an interesting bottle though, it doesn't--you'll have to pardon the expression--seem to have any seams. It's loaded with a TON of bubbles which all are vertical like a teardrop shape. Any help with finding out how old it is? or why no mold seams? Oh and the whole thing seems to be... crooked.

Resized_20220428_203525.jpeg
Resized_20220428_203624.jpeg
Resized_20220428_203644.jpeg

Last edited:

DavidW

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the site! Please forgive my shameless plug for a page on my site, but you can find C & CO LIM listed on this page: https://glassbottlemarks.com/bottlemarks-2/

The "Federal Law forbids....." amber whiskey bottle has the markings "57- 54" on the bottom along with the trademark (Diamond/oval/I) for Owens-Illinois Glass Company. The R344 is a "Rectifier number", sorry I don't know what company that would identify.

The "57" is a "liquor bottle permit number" for their glass factory at Bridgeton, New Jersey, and the "54" is a date code for 1954. I also have a page that explains about and lists all known liquor bottle permit numbers so you can quickly find what company made a liquor bottle that has one of those numbers on it.

The green un-embossed blob top bottle is probably a "turn mold" bottle, if you look closely you might see some faint horizontal lines around the bottle. That type usually held mineral water (sometimes beer), and many of them were imported from Europe. They were made for a long time, in the circa 1870s-1920s and it's hard to date them as they had the same kind of "look" for many years.

Hope this helps!!!

moodorf

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the site! Please forgive my shameless plug for a page on my site, but you can find C & CO LIM listed on this page: https://glassbottlemarks.com/bottlemarks-2/

The "Federal Law forbids....." amber whiskey bottle has the markings "57- 54" on the bottom along with the trademark (Diamond/oval/I) for Owens-Illinois Glass Company. The R344 is a "Rectifier number", sorry I don't know what company that would identify.

The "57" is a "liquor bottle permit number" for their glass factory at Bridgeton, New Jersey, and the "54" is a date code for 1954. I also have a page that explains about and lists all known liquor bottle permit numbers so you can quickly find what company made a liquor bottle that has one of those numbers on it.

The green un-embossed blob top bottle is probably a "turn mold" bottle, if you look closely you might see some faint horizontal lines around the bottle. That type usually held mineral water (sometimes beer), and many of them were imported from Europe. They were made for a long time, in the circa 1870s-1920s and it's hard to date them as they had the same kind of "look" for many years.

Hope this helps!!!
Thanks a lot!

Yikes, wish I had read this before I went out and tried to get an answer from two local antique shops about the blob top. One of them said "1970's" and the other said "1880's".

To be honest I was sort of wondering how a bottle from the 1970's made it's way into a dump that had stuff like this in it
Resized_20220429_113723.jpeg

DavidW

Reaction score
Yes, whoever told you that blob top bottle is from the 1970s knows NOTHING about antique bottles. But, to be fair, most antique dealers don't have time and energy to do a lot of in-depth research, and they only have a very superficial knowledge on a lot of things they stock.

They might specialize in learning about a few of their favorite types of antiques, and know very little about many other fields of collecting. But when they try to fake it and pretend they know............that's much worse than just saying. "Honestly, I don't know"!!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum