Sharp pontiled crude black glass bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

relic rescuer

Reaction score
I was wondering because i don't know black glass that great,, is there anyone who might know what age bracket this type is from. I got this crude super dark amber black glass. Loads of bubbles. Bottom is wavy and the bottle wobbles like crazy. It has a very sharp pontil on the bottom. Hope you like.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
I found the bottom of a bottle like that, but I think it was bigger, in the middle of a rotting stump, while metal detecting. Can't find it ATM tho...It was in an area that had a CW era fort, and was probably used for target practice. I wish I could have found the rest of it.

Last edited:

LalaGirl

Reaction score
Ditto on the love of black glass. One of my first decent dump finds, site of a late 19th C. sawmill, contained a fair amount of black glass. For a new digger in 1970 in western Washington State, where there are very few locations that harbored early settlements (our oldest incorporated town only dates to 1851), all black glass bottles appeared ancient to me at the time. That the site was not previously dug--I found several bottles lying on the grassy surface of what had once been the millpond bottom--contributes to my fond memories.

On a different topic, I notice your vintage photo avatar. I am the grandson of a Great War veteran, and the son and nephew of several WW2 vets. My father was a heavy machine gunner, 605 MOS, in 163rd Engineer (C) Battalion from shortly after its formation through to his discharge the day after Christmas, 1945. It was the 163rd who blew up the Nazi eagle and swastika emblem at Nuremberg, a bit of historical film that frequently features in WW2 documentaries.

Do you happen to participate in any of the history of war forums on Quora?
I, too, had a grandfather in the Great War, and an uncle and my father in WWII.
Uncle was at the Bulge and Omaha Beach.

willong

Reaction score
I, too, had a grandfather in the Great War, and an uncle and my father in WWII.
Uncle was at the Bulge and Omaha Beach.
Thanks for sharing.

My father landed at Utah. My best recollection of his war tales is that he landed on D+2. I distinctly remember him commenting upon the bodies still rolling in the waves and the retrieval process on-going when he landed. The only (partial and incomplete) unit histories that I have so far been able to retrieve online state that the 163 Engineer (Combat) Battalion landed on D+20. However, those histories focused on other companies of the battalion, the entirety of which were special troops, who were often seperated and served where and when needed, attached to other organizations. Dad definitely saw action during the Battle of The Bulge, serving in Alsace Lorraine. Nearer the end of the war in Europe, Dad's C Company were attached to the troops liberating Dachau Concentration camp.

I learned of incidents such as the carnage at St. Lo, collaborative women having their heads shaved in reprisal by their countrymen after the liberation of France, freezing troops' battling the weather as much as the Nazis during the Bulge, the Malmedy Massacre, German civilians in the vicinity of Dachau being forced to view, and help bury, the bodies of Dachau's atrocities and similar historical snippets in conversations with my father long before I learned any of it in school or viewed historical films and videos.

relic rescuer

Reaction score
I found the bottom of a bottle like that, but I think it was bigger, in the middle of a rotting stump, while metal detecting. Can't find it ATM tho...It was in an area that had a CW era fort, and was probably used for target practice. I wish I could have found the rest of it.
I think someone threw that away too, dammit...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum