should I dig it?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I happen to live very near a "normal school" in NH, and it was established in 1830. I believe I know where the privy was located. FYI, normal schools are where teachers were trained to teach. Think the privy would hold some treasure? Inks ????

Here's a pic of my Jade plant with a nice old bottle. It has an applied glass bead on the neck, visible if you look close, an I think it held some sort of essance like essance of peppermint oil or the like.

Yw68692.jpg

Attachments

• Yw68692.jpg
    Yw68692.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 83

IRISH

Reaction score
If you can get permission you should dig it as soon as possible [;)] it will probably be loaded with inks, marbles etc. I would NOT be inclined to go digging in a school ground without permission.
Good luck with it.

Pontiled

Reaction score
Dag nab it! This is my second attempt! I would hit that site as soon as possible, of course with permission. Your cobalt blue bottle likely is an "Essence" bottle. I had one exactly like it, but it was embossed on the botton "Essence of Peppermint." Good find!

Oldtimer

Reaction score
The school is no longer in service. It is a State landmark though..I think it is owned by the Mansion next to it (built in the late 1700s), which in turn is owned by the prez or vice-prez of AFLACK insurance......AFFLAACCKK!! They are very keen collectors of antiques I am told...I will report as soon as I know more...

And hey! Some help on my brewsters medicated electricity in the before 1900 forum?

Qo40029.jpg

Attachments

• Qo40029.jpg
    Qo40029.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 89

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Oldtimer, if the 'mansion next door' is owned by the president of Aflack, I would suggest approaching the 'missus'. Several years ago, I designed and installed a security system for their summer cottage in Kennebunkport, Maine. It really is just a 'cottage', not like those monsters in Newport RI[8D]. Anyway, they renovated the cottage keeping its historical integrity intact. I'm trying to remember their names, just can't think of it right now.[&:] The Mrs' was very friendly and much interested in antiques, she would likely support your quest if approached. I would suggest putting together an informal/formal presentation about your goal of 'uncovering' some lost history. Copy some of the good stories about privy digging off the web, or get a copy of Antique Bottle Collector's Mag, to present your case. Good luck, I'll try to come up with that name.[8D]

luvtodig

Reaction score
Jeeze Norm! wish I had your connections[;)] some thoughts on this,. if it is a state landmark, is it not protected ? I know that in some places they are very picky about historic places being dug in..sounds so cool tho...love the bottles Oldtimer..the blue is just beautiful..medicated electricity??[&:] some of the medcines they had pre 1900 were really wild huh?? I think I read that the label said take it up your nose? intresting...drugs sure were not "controlled" as they are now..wish I had more info for you Oldtimer, but I am sure someone here will be able to help you, or have a web site you can go to..I will be very intrested to read all about it...think I may go look on the internet myself>>>> good luck with your digging[:)]

Maine Digger

Reaction score
To Old Timer, the people we did the security system in Kennebunkport for, were the Amos's. When we installed the system we had to be sure every wire was completely hidden, we ended up running some through a crawl space under the place. Dan Amos is the CEO of Afflac, as I said he was pretty much all business, but his wife was great. I still think they might be approachable. I'm not sure how strict the laws are in Georgia, here in Maine it's not too difficult getting permission, unless it's on Indian property, that comes under different jurisdiction. By the way, Dan Amos's cottage sits about half way between the George Bush Compound and Eric Molson's (Yes THAT Molson) summer retreat.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I had thought I would use the historical/antique approach for the school. The privy ( or a privy, who knows how many they had over time?) is in the wide open in a field. I could also go to the historical society and look at all the photos of the school....I know they will have many. I honestly can't see why it would bother them if I dig a small test pit.
I was thinking of offering to "share" the finds, I keep some for a while, then come exchange with them. I will toss that in if they seem "on the fence" about it.

About the Brewsters Medicated, I purchaced that little gem for the handsome sum of five bucks.[:D]

OT.[8D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky