Show and tell

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Roy

Reaction score
While going through some of my bottles I came across this one. Its embossed EASTMAN, ROCHESTER, N. Y.
When doing a search I found one for sale that shows the their bottle under a black light and glowing. I have seen uranium glass many times but I didn't expect it to be in this type of bottle. The next day I bought a cheap black light flashlight at Harbor Freight for $8 and was surprised to find my bottle glows too, but I was more surprised to find out how many of my bottles have uranium in the glass. I imagine this is old news for many of you on this forum but some may find it interesting. I may eventually get a decent black light and take some pictures for fun. Here are a couple of pictures of my bottle and a screen shot of the one from the internet. Roy

Attachments

• 20221014_111553.jpg
    20221014_111553.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20221014_111939.jpg
    20221014_111939.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20221021-210132_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221021-210132_Gallery.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 85

gdog68

Reaction score
That is a sick bottle! I should go through my collection and check for uranium glass. Does the glass have any hue to it without shining blacklight?

Roy

Reaction score
That is a sick bottle! I should go through my collection and check for uranium glass. Does the glass have any hue to it without shining blacklight?
Not really, just dosen't look completely clear like the new bottles. I have found sun colored amethyst bottles, aqua bottles, and even a blue-green shot glass that glowed. Roy

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
While going through some of my bottles I came across this one. Its embossed EASTMAN, ROCHESTER, N. Y.
When doing a search I found one for sale that shows the their bottle under a black light and glowing. I have seen uranium glass many times but I didn't expect it to be in this type of bottle. The next day I bought a cheap black light flashlight at Harbor Freight for $8 and was surprised to find my bottle glows too, but I was more surprised to find out how many of my bottles have uranium in the glass. I imagine this is old news for many of you on this forum but some may find it interesting. I may eventually get a decent black light and take some pictures for fun. Here are a couple of pictures of my bottle and a screen shot of the one from the internet. Roy
It is not uranium in the glass. Manganese, which turns bottles SCA or Amethyst, will also glow green under UV light. I've found this useful since the more prominent the green color, the more likely it will turn quicker if exposed to a period of sunlight.

Roy

Reaction score
It is not uranium in the glass. Manganese, which turns bottles SCA or Amethyst, will also glow green under UV light. I've found this useful since the more prominent the green color, the more likely it will turn quicker if exposed to a period of sunlight.
PlainDiggerCam
Thank you so much.
I didn't realize that manganese will also glow under a black light or that manganese was used so much in other colors of glass bottles. Clearly, I need to do a bit of research in this area.
Thanks again. Roy

willong

Reaction score
An interesting observation--thanks!

Reactions: Roy

Newtothiss

Reaction score
I believe uranium glass usually has a yellow or green hue to it.

I think some (real early) may even be somewhat "hot" radiology..

Somewhere on here I have a post about a pair of 30's(?) salt and pepper shakers I found that glowed under UV..

Reactions: Roy

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis