Sick of eBay shipping! What is the deal?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PoisonBottleGuy

Reaction score
I am curious as to why sellers think it is ok to charge buyers 8, 9, 12, even $15 to ship tiny poison bottles. I mean, come on. I am a seller too and a little bubble wrap and a small box does the trick. Shipping for a couple ounce poison bottle should be like $4. I am reluctant to buy some bottles on eBay because the end price with shipping is more than the bottle is worth. Thanks for letting me vent [:mad:] -Mike

epackage

Reaction score
I always contact the seller if shipping is crazy, if they don't adjust it I just don't bid on those auctions.....EVER

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
I agree with too much shipping cost! I just bought 5 lbs. of aluminum oxide for 20.00 ( shipping 12.00) 5 lbs. ceramic pellets 24.00 ( shipping 12.00) 3lbs. 1000 grit silicone carbide 12.00 (shipping 12.00) I contacted the seller and offered them 50.00 for all with free shipping and the accepted my offer!! This lets you know that sellers are reducing there prices sometimes and trying to make it up on the shipping. Like Jim said, I will contact seller before bidding on a item if the shipping seems to high! Thanks, Kevin..

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Oh man, oh man, shipping on Ebay has become a big mess. Since Ebay now takes a cut of shipping fees, Ebay sellers are charging more for shipping to recoup that expense. Of course, there are the gougers, too. I always find it amazing that a seller is willing to sacrifice reputation and potential repeat business, all in the name of getting a few extra bucks from a buyer for shipping charges. I actually had one seller justify his exorbitant shipping fees because he had to wait in line at the post office! I no longer do any business with him because he felt so strongly about charging $5 above the $2 (shipping, Ebay cut and envelope) it actually cost him to ship. I'll be patient and buy elsewhere, since nothing I collect wasn't made in at least, I figure, several gross in quantity. Something American sellers to us Canadian buyers need to be aware is that Ebay has arranged a deal with Pitney-Bowes on international shipping. That deal requires Canadian buyers to pay a compulsory customs brokerage fee to Pitney-Bowes, which starts at a minimum of around $15.00. Ebay undoubtedly gets a cut at the back end from Pitney-Bowes. The interesting thing is that antique items coming into Canada are exempt from customs duties, and thus no brokerage fee is required, except, of course, with Ebay's shenanigans. I asked Ebay customer service about this and the relevant legalities and never heard back. Surprise, surprise. Now, where this becomes an issue for American sellers is when they list a Canadian piece that only Canadians would really want. Unless the item is worth a lot, I just can't justify fifteen or more bucks extra in what I pay. I'll bet other Canadian Ebay buyers are thinking along much the same lines. Unnecessary Ebay fees -- grrrrr!

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
I charge an average of $8.00 on single acl bottles.I buy bubble wrap................that's a drive to town.Pick up my boxes..................that's a trip to town.Wrap your purchase well.................that's 10 min..Take your package to the PO.................that's a trip to town.Actuall postage for local sells $6-7.50. West coast,$9.50Town and PO is 15 miles away and gas is $3.10................................................................... I see a price increase coming. For license I charge a standard $4.00. As for buying, I really hate to pay over $11.00 for a single acl, but w/ my limited collecting range and fierce copetition..................sometimes I gotta bite that bullet and pay. I look at it this way, it's cheaper than driving to find one.

PoisonBottleGuy

Reaction score
I favorited a seller on eBay who has about 600 bottles in his store at all times. The guys name is Tom (Tom's Old Bottles) and he is awesome. I am able to pick up common poisons to add to my collection for $4-$10 and he only charges between $3.50 and $7 shipping. To make up for my distaste for shipping charges I usually buy a couple of bottles at a time. Then, it only seems like paying 1.75 for shipping. To be honest, I would rather scour antique stores, flea markets and that sort of deal, but I have only found about 3 poisons in months of searching. On Ebay they are a click away [:(]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
OsiaBoyce said:
I charge an average of $8.00 on single acl bottles.I buy bubble wrap................that's a drive to town.Pick up my boxes..................that's a trip to town.Wrap your purchase well.................that's 10 min..Take your package to the PO.................that's a trip to town.Actuall postage for local sells $6-7.50. West coast,$9.50Town and PO is 15 miles away and gas is $3.10................................................................... I see a price increase coming. For license I charge a standard $4.00. As for buying, I really hate to pay over $11.00 for a single acl, but w/ my limited collecting range and fierce copetition..................sometimes I gotta bite that bullet and pay. I look at it this way, it's cheaper than driving to find one.
You forgot the extra $1 plus in ebay and paypal fees on the $8.[:)][:D][:mad:][:'(][:(][:eek:][8|]

Sir.Bottles

Reaction score
Regarding to this matter I kind a forgiving people. Everybody have a right to make money, because eBay keep increasing their fee every single day. As a seller you have to run all the trouble, find a bottle to sell make a listing, go to post office to ship your new collection. What eBay did?? they just sit & take a CUT on every sales we make (don't forget PAYPAL too). Yep they increase the s&h in order to reduce the sale price to save some eBay fees.So I make my own perimeter about this. for example this bottle. imagine you're in bottle show, how much you willing to pay for it? let say $20. if the seller charge the S&H cost for $15 i'll bid only $5 if he charge $2 I'll bid $18 & so on.

Attachments

• ba6013ac3f684fce9570c3c21ef734d8.jpg
    ba6013ac3f684fce9570c3c21ef734d8.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 63

nhpharm

Reaction score
I've opted out of the "Global Shipping Program" because of multiple complaints from Canadian and UK buyers...the seller can't see what the buyer has to pay for international shipping, but it is very high. The pain is that eBay selects it for you so you have to opt out on each item! Anything under 13 ounces ships with tracking via first class mail (max of $3.77 in US) and gets where it is going just as fast as priority! Also, if you print out the label at home, the mailman will pick the package up for you, so there is no need for the seller to go to the post office.

Sir.Bottles

Reaction score
Yes eBay "Global Shipping Program" is total rip off. I have a friend in Canada & he never willing to buy from a seller with "Global Shipping Program". it's unbelievably high because it's included with the import tax. & most likely he got double nailed custom fee.[&:] Yep it's no hassles free alright because nobody willing to buy.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora