Sign Salvage

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Several years ago my buddy & I spotted a 2-sided, 4'x 8' porcelain sign on the bottom of our favourite river to dive. We said, more than once: "We really should bring that sign up!", but never seemed to get around to it. Well, this month we did! Problem was, we didn't really think it through properly, thus what turned out to be 'phase 1' of the salvage, was quite an experience!

Now understand, we're both former professional divers, so we should have known better. We rigged two plastic pails for lifting, only to discover the sign to be much heavier than anticipated - did we halt the lift & fetch two more pails? Of course not! We decided to 'muscle' it to the exit area! With one of us on either end, we hoisted the sign off bottom and started making our way downstream in 25' of black water. I was leading the way but couldn't use my dive light as I needed both arms to lift my end. The bottom was littered with huge logs, fallen trees, stumps and a variety of other obstacles that we tripped over or had to feel our way around with our feet. You can imagine our path to the exit wasn't exactly a straight line - more like a huge zig-zag!

We managed to haul it about 80% of the way before our air supply and our energy were near exhausted. We decided to stash it and finish the job the following weekend. Phase 1 took about :90. Phase 2 took just :27! Amazing what a little thought & planning can do! We had it up & out of the water with comparative ease, though we had a steep riverbank to surmount before we could trailer it home. All-in-all a fun adventure it was. My buddy took it home, cleaned it up and it was sold within a week.

Not as much fun as hunting for bottles n' crocks - I think I'll stick to that from here-on!

Attachments

• IMG_7360.jpg
    IMG_7360.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 181

hemihampton

Reaction score
As big as it is I imagine you got some big Bucks for it. Congrats. LEON.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
As big as it is I imagine you got some big Bucks for it. Congrats. LEON.
Yeah, we did pretty good with it - $1550. We need to go back and clean up the rest of the site; looks like the owner of the gas station tossed in fuel pump nozzles, hose and other assorted refuse.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
How long do you figure it was down there? What a funny story! Your photo bombing your own picture in the mirror...Lol! cleaned up great.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
How long do you figure it was down there? What a funny story! Your photo bombing your own picture in the mirror...Lol! cleaned up great.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Hah! I wish that was me! That's my buddy - he's 33, I'm almost 63! We figure the sign was down there about 50-60 years. The side nestled into the bottom was in better shape that the side facing the surface.

RCO

Reaction score
its alot harder to remove items from the water than you'd realise .

i've taken a few things out over the years , once i took out a marine boat battery from a dock here , put a rope on it and oddly it came out quickly . despite being very heavy

never found any signs though

don't know much about gas and oil , but your sign was from an old brand called " british american " oil company . i know around here there used to be alot more small gas stations than is now , so who knowns what else is still out there , these stations all closed years ago and who knowns what became of there former signs

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora