Simple cleaning that worked for me.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

HeadBasher77

Reaction score
I bought the cleaner at the Dollar tree for a buck. And bought some copper wire at Home Depot for 0.66 cents a foot. Cut the wire up into little pieces. I put some cleaner in the bottle along with the copper pieces and shook it for about 20 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_20200107_185032.jpg
    IMG_20200107_185032.jpg
    629.3 KB · Views: 461
  • 1578440855719.jpg
    1578440855719.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 468

Screwtop

Reaction score
That's really cool! I'll have to try that. For getting dirt out, I use cleaning vinegar, and play sand. This would definitely work better for getting calcium buildup off. Most of t anyway.

BottleDragon

Reaction score
That's a good price. I use a product called Lime OUT which costs significantly more.

It never occurred to me to mix anything with it, but I usually follow up with a slurry of coarse salt and vinegar. Shake vigorously, let it rest for a while, then shake some more. I usually do this for about 30 minutes, or longer depending on how dirty the insides are. The leftover slurry can be reused on multiple bottles.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I bought the cleaner at the Dollar tree for a buck. And bought some copper wire at Home Depot for 0.66 cents a foot. Cut the wire up into little pieces. I put some cleaner in the bottle along with the copper pieces and shook it for about 20 minutes.
If you are mechanically savvy, take a small motor and devise a pully system to make a small tumbler. You're doing what tumblers do, except you're doing it by hand. Gear it down, of course!

slugplate

Reaction score
Been using copper wire pellets for hand cleaning my bottles too. Sometimes is use soap, other times vinegar, sometimes bleach, or the go-to CLR. Depends on what I see. If the glass isn't sick, badly weathered or the integrity of the glass hasn't been compromised, that product is a great way to go. Of course your RLC is the generic for CLR and much cheaper. Good post!

Screwtop

Reaction score
If you are mechanically savvy, take a small motor and devise a pully system to make a small tumbler. You're doing what tumblers do, except you're doing it by hand. Gear it down, of course!

I saw a YouTube video by Adventure Archaeology, and they took an old dual barrel rock tumbler, and put the bottle they wanted cleaned inside an old Clorox wipe bottle, with copper and cutter, and put it on the tumbler. It seems to work wonders for them! I'll have to find the video.

slugplate

Reaction score
I saw a YouTube video by Adventure Archaeology, and they took an old dual barrel rock tumbler, and put the bottle they wanted cleaned inside an old Clorox wipe bottle, with copper and cutter, and put it on the tumbler. It seems to work wonders for them! I'll have to find the video.
I have less than a handful of bottles I'd tumble. Of course I'm a relative purist when it comes to bottles and I have hand cleaned every one of them. Sure, they're not museum looking pieces without a tumble, but I love a rustic, natural look. I do clean them by hand as best as I can and they mostly come out great.

slugplate

Reaction score
I have less than a handful of bottles I'd tumble. Of course I'm a relative purist when it comes to bottles and I have hand cleaned every one of them. Sure, they're not museum looking pieces without a tumble, but I love a rustic, natural look. I do clean them by hand as best as I can and they mostly come out great.
The only drawback is that it really smells bad when doing it.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
The thing I don't much care for in tumbled bottles is how they look overly cleaned.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi