Skunked Probing Today

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
They really do clean up well, don't they? I already have two, in mint condition, from the same location as well. However, my dig spot is very odd. I'll come across a TOC bottle and 10 feet away I'll probe out a 70's Michelob... same depth as the older stuff, SMH.
Hey I can relate to some spots like that. It's hit and miss but eventually you figure out the pattern the area was dumped in.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I was eyeing some stoneware as well, one looks to be far older than the others around it and priced a little higher, but like you, I'm not sure how legit or old the piece really is so I passed, until I learn more about this fun hobby of bottles and such, I'll hold off on such purchases until I know what I'm buying, also, I'm not getting any younger, and comparing what it would cost me to go out and dig for bottles verses wandering through antique stores comes into play, even though bottles are dug and we know what we have, how much did they really cost after driving time and gas, the tools needed and of-coarse hoping we don't get hurt which is much more costly.
Just being in the woods is what the experience is about. Try not to focus on the cost or the time it takes but what it does for the soul. If I find something good it's a bonus, but I feel better after just being out there.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Just being in the woods is what the experience is about. Try not to focus on the cost or the time it takes but what it does for the soul. If I find something good it's a bonus, but I feel better after just being out there.
Yep, I still get out and hike frequently, it's the digging part that's getting harder...lol...... :)

slugplate

Reaction score
Exactly! It's the freedom and the anticipation of coming across something special. I went out poking around yesterday, same place, and only found a few slick meds. But, you're right, it's not necessarily about what you find, but the experience of doing it. BTW, it was 26 degrees yesterday and I thought I'd have to rent a jackhammer to get through the top inch or two of frozen ground, LOL.

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
Those Paine's are always neat...they are one of the first bottles I remember digging as a kid (6 or 7 years old) in New Hampshire and I still dig them today all the way down here in Texas!

Same here. Found a Paine's along with an amber Electric Bitters, Hood's Sarsaparilla, amber SS Coke and some local Qt. Beers on one of my very first digs in late '69 at 14 years old.

slugplate

Reaction score
Yep, I still get out and hike frequently, it's the digging part that's getting harder...lol...... :)
So true. I've kind of limited myself to surface dump areas. I do a bit more exploring now to find dump areas and stopped digging like a human excavator. At my current age, I much rather explore and find nothing than dig a pit for three hours and find nothing... I leave that to the 'young and restless'. :cool:

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi