Slag

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I found this piece of slag along with bigger pieces in the woods by a 1900-1920s bottle dump. Slag from brick or making iron. I am not sure. I like the look of it it is lighter in color than the glass slag and iron slag I have found in the past. A magnet barely sticks to it. It is kind of sharp and hard to hold. I have no idea what I will ever do with it. I might try sculpting a shape out of it.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
20200624_203820.jpg

Timelypicken

Reaction score
I would leave it how it is and put it on a shelf and maby put a bottle on top of it if it's stable enough

Timelypicken

Reaction score
You sure it's not some old Cracker Jacks where the box rotted away? :)
It does kinda look like that.p, but I don’t think that there is any chance they would still be there, and I think they would stink

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
There was a bog iron furnace (1790) near me and the slag is fairly plentiful. Since it was made from sandstone, it has a lot more glass in it. That piece does not look like it.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
There was a bog iron furnace (1790) near me and the slag is fairly plentiful. Since it was made from sandstone, it has a lot more glass in it. That piece does not look like it.
Not much glass in this one. It looks like fused rock with metal drizzled on it. Big pieces left. I have a couple iron furnace slag that is loaded with metal and heavy. This one is light and might float. Very almond white for slag. Those white pebbles in the slag I have seen bigger pieces in the iron slag. I can post that one today.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

sandchip

Reaction score
It does kinda look like that.p, but I don’t think that there is any chance they would still be there, and I think they would stink

Lord, help me. I was kiddin'.

What no prize!
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Glad you got it, man.

In all seriousness, my guess would be buildup in an earlier coal burning combustion chamber, where dirty coal was used. Not dirty in the modern sense, but coal that had the occasional dirt, gravel, etc.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Lord, help me. I was kiddin'.

Glad you got it, man.

In all seriousness, my guess would be buildup in an earlier coal burning combustion chamber, where dirty coal was used. Not dirty in the modern sense, but coal that had the occasional dirt, gravel, etc.
It looks like the foam off of slag. Don't they add some kind of white colored stone to the iron ore or does the molten ore pick rocks and stones up when molten? I have a big piece with lots of iron and black and white stones. Looks like a meteorite but isn't.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado